Hatchet in the shop
Hello all,

I have a nice hatchet that I use for the odd firewood chopping. I keep it in the shop for various tasks and I was wondering if anyone else has one or uses one in the shop.

If so which one?
Peter

My "day job"
I have an old Revonoc hewing hatchet that belonged to my grandfather. In my youth, I used it to split wood to kindle the wood-burning furnace each morning. Now I use it to trim up blocks of wood before air drying.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I have a carving hatchet I bought recently. It hasn't gotten much use yet. I never think about it. There have been several occasions when I've done a task with familiar tooks and thought afterward that the hatchet would have done a better job and faster.
I use mine all the time. Beats the heck out of sawing an inch of width off the edge of a board. I used to use my GB hunter's axe, but recently I switched to a carpenter's hatchet that I modified for carving.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
Hatchets are indispensable in the hand tool only shop. I keep a single bevel hewing hatchet for most work, and a period-correct tomahawk that I use for splitting pegs and the like. The hewing hatchet is as sharp as a plane; the tomahawk less so but can still get you if you lose focus.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

ZachDillinger said:

Hatchets are indispensable in the hand tool only shop. I keep a single bevel hewing hatchet for most work, and a period-correct tomahawk that I use for splitting pegs and the like. The hewing hatchet is as sharp as a plane; the tomahawk less so but can still get you if you lose focus.

I had a single-bevel hatchet for a few years, but it was so heavy that it wore me out after just a few minutes, and I eventually gave it away. I'd like to pick up a lighter one at some point, but they're hard to come by. I find the double-beveled hatchet works well enough that I really haven't been looking very hard.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
JustinTyson said:

I had a single-bevel hatchet for a few years, but it was so heavy that it wore me out after just a few minutes, and I eventually gave it away.

Hey, that's my favorite hatchet and I'm smaller, weaker, and older than you!

Steve
I have a couple -

A double bevel from Robin Wood and a heavier single bevel Pritzlaff Everkeen.
I have a GB Wildlife Hatchet in the shop (along with a couple of other GB's) but it never occurred to me that it could be a useful shop tool.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
I have a Gransfors Bruks carving axe. I use it mostly for carving spoons, but it sometimes comes in handy for splitting boards. I have a larger axe and a couple of wedges for splitting logs. I also have a froe I use for splitting. I don't care much for Peter Follansbee's style of woodworking, but I have learned a lot from him and Sir Roy on how to split logs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill