Hatchet in the shop
Steve Friedman said:

[blockquote]JustinTyson said:

I had a single-bevel hatchet for a few years, but it was so heavy that it wore me out after just a few minutes, and I eventually gave it away.

Hey, that's my favorite hatchet and I'm smaller, weaker, and older than you!

Steve

[/blockquote]

I'm glad you like it . It's definitely a good hatchet, I just tend to prefer light and nimble. I'm the same way with planes.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
The only thing faster than a scrub plane is a hatchet! I have three in the shop. A GB carpenters hatchet that I use for splitting out stock to make small dowels and pegs and such. A single bevel hewing hatchet that I use often for edge work when "its too much to plane and too little to saw". I also have a craving axe for spoon work. All three are fun to use.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
That's exactly what I use mine for and the more that I use a hatchet the more that I want a single bevel hatchet.

Any recommendations?

GB? Which model?

Another brand?

I recall that Lee Valley had a broad hatchet but that is no longer being made.

I wanted it back when it came out but I guess I waited too long.
Peter

My "day job"
I love pulling mine out for various things. I did a lot of research, and eventually found that the Husqvarna "Carpenters Axe" from amazon was the best option. It is truly great to use.

Apparently it is made by the same people as make the other expensive Swedish axes, and it looks dang Identical to the axes Lie-Nielsen sell... The stamp on the hand forged head looks the exact same... Anyway, I am trying to say I like mine.
Is that husqvarna axe single bevel?
Peter

My "day job"
After reading this post it brought back memories from 56 years ago when I started my carpenters apprenticeship. My tool box had a hand axe and a rip hand saw. The rip saw was the first to go but still carried the axe for many years, a handy tool. One carpenter that I learned a lot from used an axe a lot and you could shave with that one and he never cut him self using it.
Peter Tremblay said:

Is that husqvarna axe single bevel?

Double bevel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm not sure GB makes a single bevel. Even their hewing axe is double beveled.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
I don't have a super fancy one but it is a vintage classic.

---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
For me it's only 55 years. We called them hand axes. They were single bevel. They were a quick way to fit the starter board on wall forms. Sometimes the footings were pretty rough.

Scotty was about 15years older than me. He learned his trade in Glasgow Scotland. He told a story about having his journeyman coming and telling him it was quitting time . They were fitting out a ship. Scotty bemoaned the fact he still had to finish fitting a door. His journeyman took out his hand axe and planed the door to a perfect fit.
A man of foolish pursuits