Pipe clamp rack
Recently I got the itch to do a little metal fabrication and decided to finally tackle the problem of storing my pipe clamps. They had been hanging around here and there, high and low, in the shop for a few years now and I was getting tired of them getting in the way. I decided to weld up a pipe clamp rack. I settled on a caddy design but I wanted it simple, fool proof and fast to use. I also wanted it to secure the clamps so they can't fall out if the caddy is bumped or moved around. Here is what I came up with...

Since pipe clamps have a simple pipe on one end I figured a sleeve design would work great. Now to find pipe for the sleeves. I did some measuring and found that for 1/2" and 3/4" black iron pipe a great sleeve would be 1" and 1-1/4" metallic conduit. The conduit is thinner walled then full pipe so it's lighter but still thick enough to weld. The pipe clamps fit into the sleeve with just enough extra room to allow for easy entry but tight enough so the clamps don't wiggle around too much. In fact, the 5 footer only moves about 3/4" at the top when moving side to side.

I bought a few sticks of conduit of each size and got to work on the fabrication. First, I cut 6 sleeves at 9", 12", 15" & 18" To hold the sleeves in perfect alignment and spacing while welding I made jigs out of plywood with my dado blade. These allowed easy clamping to the pipe and kept the spacing.

next, I welded a frame of 1" angle iron to the bottoms. Notice how the angle only covers a portion of the sleeve. This allows an exit for sawdust or other debris that falls into the sleeve.

Next, came 1" flat stock to tie the tops together. I used 1" angle on the taller sleeves and 1" flat on the shorter as they would receive less bending force from their clamps.

Next came a couple 1/2" bolts holding lawn mower wheels. For the front legs I used 1/2" black pipe segments for strength.

Finally, I made handles out of 3/4" conduit. I used the conduit to keep them lighter and I left the tops open so that in case they bent too much I could insert a dowel or some sort of stiffener. It turned out that they are plenty strong as is with no bending during use.

I was unsure of how stable the caddy rack would be. If it was too top heavy I had planned to form up and encase the bottom 4" of the sleeves in concrete. But, after loading it up it is very stable. Even when tilting it back to move it is controllable and not too top heavy. No concrete ballast needed.

Hope you enjoyed the build.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Now that's clever, well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice job.
You could add a little more stuff(hoses, compressor, valves, etc) and make music.
Only thing I'd change is the handle location -- they're always shown against the wall so you have to drag it around to get to them.

I think I'd put a "crazy wheel" on the front and a handle to pull it with.

Pretty good design.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Well done! Makes me want to fire up Dad's ol' arc welder and see if I've still got welding chops. Worked for GE for 10yrs a long time ago...

The crazy wheel at the front of the cart sounds good too. But maybe a pair of them, for stability.

Nice job,
Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Two thumbs up. It doesn't look like you left much room for additional clamps though.
There's room for eight more. If I still come up short I can always saw it apart and weld in more tubes. I have the 16 K Bodies in the background and 60 F style clamps elsewhere so I doubt there will be many more pipe clamps in my future.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Splinter Puller said:

The conduit is thinner walled then full pipe so it's lighter but still thick enough to weld.

What kind of Conduit did you use? There's 3 kinds, Rigid Metallic Conduit (RMC) Intermediate Metallic Conduit (IMC) and Electrical Metallic Tubing (EMT) I can't tell for sure from ou picture, but it looks like IMC? I would think EMT wold be a little thin to weld, but maybe you're just a better welder than me

Also, most conduits are galvanized, which produces heavy metal fumes when you weld it. make sure you have really good ventilation.

Nice rack.
I used EMT. You have to be a bit more careful welding it due to its thinness but it was not too hard.

One thing I've always wondered. For people welding galvanized metal and getting a bit of extra zinc in their systems, does it result in lesser Incidence of the flu or other viruses? I'd be curious to know.