veritas backsaws
[Newbie mode:ON]

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find a good comparison/discussion of the various saws in Veritas' line elsewhere on the forum. If there is one, then please post a link to it. Thanks.

I've read lots of recommendations on the veritas dovetail saws. Can anyone speak to the rest of their backsaw line? Also, as a newbie, what's the benefit of having a handful of backsaws? How many and what type do you really need and why?

As a followup question, Veritas makes a 14 TPI dovetail saw, along with a 14 TPI carcass saw. Is there any benefit in having both, or would it be better to have just one? I'm still looking for maximum bang for my buck, and woodcraft is having a 15% off sale this weekend.
[Newbie mode:Off]
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
I have both the small crosscut and 20tpi rip dovetail saws.

I like them, they are at a great price point, and work well for me. I think the 20tpi saw is too fine for everything except thin dovetails. Is not aggressive enough to do tennons, in my opinion.

My plan is to buy the carcass rip to suppliment this. I have found that for larger crosscuts, a larger saw would be helpfull. In a lark, i bought an $8 crosscut backsaw at the big box store, and it cuts well, and except for a bit too much set is a good saw.

Roger
As far as which ones you "need," this is a good primer (nos 3, 4 and 5 if you're just talkin' backsaws) Nest of Saws
In my opinion a good "set" is four backsaws.

Two crosscut and two rip.

A smaller one of each for smaller cuts and a larger one of each for larger cuts.

I have a 10" dovetail saw and a 9" crosscut saw (this is a veritas saw)

I also have a 14" crosscut backsaw and a 16" backsaw.

I do sometimes wish I had 12" crosscut saw too.
Peter

My "day job"
The veritas saws are great, and affordable. There is no difference in the quality of cut I get while using them compared to the LN saws or old refurished saws...

I am put off by the non-traditional design... but there is nothing wrong with it just my preference.
I agree.

They cut just as well as saws that cost 4 times what the Veritas costs.

The handle is more comfortable than a LN saw (in my opinion) and for the price they are a huge bargain.
Peter

My "day job"
elinourrumming said:

As far as which ones you "need," this is a good primer (nos 3, 4 and 5 if you're just talkin' backsaws) Nest of Saws

Depending on the SCALE of work one plans to accomplish, a nice minimum collection of backsaws would be a 12 to 14 ppi dovetail saw filed RIP and a 10 to 12 ppi carcass saw file crosscut.

This would get you the vast majority of what you need to do "around the house" sized furniture joinery.

Dovetail saw for well, dovetail and similar small tasks. Carcass saw for tenon shoulders, final cut to length of table legs, rails & stiles, etc. For knocking the cheeks of tenons or working on half-laps, you can split things off with a chisel and follow up with a router plane (joinery's best friend).

Add to that a "Sharptooth" hand saw for breaking down stock and you are pretty much complete, although not always finessed or as efficient as you could be with a couple sizes of rip and x-cut handsaws.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have more backsaws than I need - Western and Japanese. I find the two types I use the most are a rip filed dovetail saw and a crosscut filed carcase saw. You could get by with only one Japanese saw, since they usually have more tpi, and the kerf is much smaller than a typical Western saw, therefore you get a cleaner cut. I own vintage Disston, Lie-Nielsen, Gramercy, and Veritas. I find the Veritas easiest to start, and the Lie-Nielsen fastest to cut. I find myself gravitating toward the LN most of the time. The crosscut carcase saw leaves a much cleaner cut when your cut is cross-grain (think dovetail shoulders and tenons). I used to own a big 16" tenon saw and found it too hard to manage (my fault). When I purchased a loose tenon power tool, I gave up my large tenon saw. Any hand cut tenons I do are easily managed with the dovetail and carcase saws. I should mention one saw I use a LOT is a moderately priced ryoba. It does both rip and crosscut and is marvelous for breaking down boards to rough dimensions. I carry a cheaper version in my truck which comes in very handy when I make lumber runs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A lot of opinions and preferences involved here, as this is one of those " I use this" type of subjects. Everyone has a valid point to some extent. A triple nest is very basic but not necessary to some extent. Depends on your budget and projects you plan to build. If you are on a budget and/or not sure what you need or want then the Veritas saws are the best bang for the buck, IMHO. For less than $200.00 you get a dovetail saw and a carcass saw. That will get you going. If you plan to cut dovetails in thicker stock go with the 14ppi dovetail, If thin stock Less the 1/2" go with the 20ppi. 16 to 17 would be better but not an option.
You can cut small tenons with a cross cut carcass saw, but it will be slower than a dedicated rip tenon saw. If your just learning, it won't matter. Better slow and precise than fast and sloppy.
It would take too long to go into specifics, but they cut as well as any, given their design and filing, and cost a lot less than a lot of the "other" saws. So just another opinion to add to the mix.
Best of luck.
BontzSawWorks.net
I do believe I have all of the Veritas saws - feel free to ask questions although I may not be able to usefully answer them.

For a Western dovetail and carcass saw, the Veritas is as good as it gets. Pretty much everybody uses the same steel so, in the end, it comes down to looks and feel in the hand and filing. Ron Bontz and Issac Smith or Mark Harrell at Bad Axe may or may not do a better job of filing and they do offer different size handles for different hands but I do not imagine that they will cut any better (for a straight rip file.) They are, however, more traditional in appearance and all are gorgeous.

I am a newb when it comes to sawing so let me tell you what I have and what I use. I have the entire Veritas backsaw line as well as a Disston D7 xcut, an xcut saw sold to me by Marv Werner, a big ripper sold to me by Dom and an Issac Smith dovetail and a Glen-Drake dovetail and a variety of Japanese style backsaws (I believe all are filed xcut.)

For dovetails I reach for the Isaac Smith 1st, next the Glen-Drake and then the Veritas. I learned on the Veritas but it is too small for my hand - nonetheless it has a fond place in my heart. The carcass and tenon saws are all Veritas. Except for the hand fit, the Veritas would be my only backsaws.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard