Cantilevered Shelf
So what would be the best way to attach this short shelf about 11" long x 9" wide to the side of this case? The shelf is 1.25" thick while the side of the case is .75" thick. It will not see much abuse or weight only about 3 lbs. Just standard wood screws? Is there a better connection that would be stronger that can also be hidden?
It's soft maple.

Through wedged tenons? Barrel nut and bolt in recessed plugged holes?
WoodNET... the new safespace
Maybe just 3 of these would be sufficient gaining more holding power than a flat head screw with the hex head and washer with plugged hole.

Or a cabinet screw?

couple of pocket screws underneath and one or two straight in from the back
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Since the shelf is so thick I think I would put in two or three 1/2" diameter dowels for the side and then screw in from behind.

the one side has to carry the load that two sides would normally carry. The half inch dowels should go 1/2" deep into the sides and an inch or more into the shelf.

I personally would have cut a dado into the side, but this appears to be already built so that option is out.

You can put half inch dowels in through the back and glue on a piece of 3/4" stock for it to go through on the back side. It would add a lot of strength. I am assuming that the back is made from 1/4" ply now.

I usually cut my groove for the plywood about 3/4" from the back so that would allow me to hide a 3/4" thick board in the rear.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
French Cleat + screws if you can remake the shelf. If not I'd go with what Joe suggests.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
It's only a little under 1.25" thick. It would have to be a pretty small cleat but might work
The shelf will not be touching the back of the case. Only the side.
You know me - I'd use two loose tenons about 3" wide, 1/2" thick, 1-1/2" deep in the shelf, and as deep as possible into the side w/o showing on the outside, say 5/8"+. If you know how to make a foxed tenon that would be even better in the side.

John