How does a mortising machine work?
Kinda of like a hammer drill except with a mortising bit? A regular drill bit with a square chisel around it in a sense?
Modern machines use a bit more correctly called an anger than a drill bit.

Spur and cutting edge with large flutes to eject chips.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Rob Young said:

Modern machines use a bit more correctly called an anger than a drill bit.

Spur and cutting edge with large flutes to eject chips.

Or to be even more correct, we might call it an auger.

But drill bit gets the point across.

The drill/auger removes most of the material, and the chisel squares and smoothes the mortise.

--
See ya later,
Bill
JKimel said:

Kinda of like ... A regular drill bit with a square chisel around it in a sense?

^ This.

There are several different kinds of mortising machines available today, but the most common ones have a hollow, square chisel with an auger bit that fits closely inside the hollow. The auger wastes out the bulk of the matereal and draws it up into the hollow chisel where it is ejected through a slot in the side of the chisel. The bottom edges of the square chisel are sharpe. They trim the sides of the hole cut by the auger square. Again, the waste trimmed away by the chisel is drawn up into the hollow by the auger and ejected. The result is a square hole. Several of these square holes are drilled side by side (and overlapping) to create a mortise.

HTH.

Hank
JKimel said:

Kinda of like a hammer drill except with a mortising bit? A regular drill bit with a square chisel around it in a sense?

Mortising machines work in at least three ways.

in your case the solution is not a mortising machine at all but a plunge router and a window template

it is still a dubious solution for your cantilevered shelf
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The bit drill the hole, then the "chisel" surrounding it cuts the corners out and makes it square. The machine forces the chisel down and spins the bit.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I would classify this is the function of a hollow chisel mortiser.

Mortising machines come in various styles for sure.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The term "auger" usually refers to a bit with a lead screw that pulls the bit into the wood. The bits that accompany mortise chisels don't have the lead screw. They have the cutting tips and spurs. The rest of the bit is usually a non-cutting screw that ejects the chips. Looks like some augers, but minus the lead screw. The chisel part just removes what the drill bit didn't to make the hole square.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Don't forget oscillating chisel mortisers. When you press the foot pedal, a pneumatic hydraulic head moves towards the wood. A pneumatic clamp slaps down on the wood. At a certain point an electric motor turns on and a chisel digs a hole the way a dog would. This all takes five seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F94V_4UNyM

I like hollow chisel mortisers better, because set up and maintence is cheaper.
Agreed. The cantilevered shelf discussion just got me thinking how these machines worked.