Long term protectiom
As someone on another site described themselves-mood woodworker. That's me. My tools may sit for months before they get used. My shop is in a lower level (basement) that his finished and heated.

I am looking for a product that will provide the longest protection against corrosion. I am thinking wax, but would like to hear from forum members. Planes seem to be hit the hardest. I am guessing it has something to do with being in contact with wood that has been finished with BLO, but not sure.
" />
Where I live now it isn't a problem (RH between 2% and 30% [in heavy cloud cover and rain]). When I lived on the coast in the
East I used Boeshield . Not cheap but it worked. Some of the other folks I knew put their tools in a closed cabinet and put a heat source with them. Looks like that would not be viable for you.

BTW WD40 does not prevent rust, nor does wax
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Before Jack can say it, mutton tallow.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...3415,43440
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

Fragrance???
I remembered that Fine Woodworking did a test on rust prevention products. Since I subscribe to the print version, I thought I could access the article. Either I am not smart enough or they want me cough up more money to view it.

Anyone know the magic process?
I am in upstate NY and I keep my user planes in a cabinet similar to the one in the photo. I wipe them with Camillia oil after use and I don't have any issues with rust. Some tools get used fairly frequently and some might only get used a couple times a year. I also use those little desiccant packages liberally in all drawers and other closed containers. They are free at my local pharmacy, so there's no reason not to use them. HTH
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
RB61 said:

[blockquote]Admiral said:

Fragrance???

[/blockquote]

Not really. I use it on planes I don't use regularly, for the rest Camilla oil works for me. But the tallow is longer lasting.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
A little paste wax every now and then helps.
Don
For long term, I don't think anything beats Johnson Paste Floor Wax. $6.00 at the Borg and a tin will last many years.

Another choice is LPS3, but it's harder to find, much more expensive, and harder to remove when it's time to use the tool again.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
I use Johnsons paste wax and sometimes WD40.