drill press drum sander with regular paper
Can someone recommend a sanding drum for a drill press that takes standard sandpaper? I don't want to keep a stock of special drums in different grits-- i've heard about these drums that you just load with regular paper.
Any suggestions?

Colin
Haven't used it myself, but Lee Valley sells them: Link
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
Cdshakes said:

i've heard about these drums that you just load with regular paper.

They've been around for many years including the Singley.
They were not worth the time for me. Every one bumped at the joint.

Flawed assumption: Regular sandpaper is the same that's found on specifically made sanding drums. It isn't unless you by the cheapest sanding drum you can find. Most abrasive drums are made with resin on resin coating that holds the abrasive grit well. Abrasive paper thin enough to give a marginally acceptable joint will have its grit stripped rather quickly. A good heavy x-weight paper is too stiff to fold into the joint.

Wish it were different.
Bob Vaughan said:

Every one bumped at the joint.

Wish it were different.

This ^^^^^^^

Solid sleeves over a drum you can tighten Yes they do have a barber poled wrap, but the feel is seamless, so no thumpa, thumpa, thumpa. Shafts bite right into a drill chuck.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have one or two of those drums. Haven't used them in years because of the problem Bob described. If you want them you can have them for the cost of a USPS Flat Rate box. Let me know.

John
I have seen several people in the YT ww community make their own with considerable success.
Here's one that I particularly like because of the torsion from the screw.
I haven't had a need to make one for myself, but when I do this is the one I'm trying first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF18CkbgDGI
Ray
I know it sounds good, but if this is your normal drill press, it will tear up the bearings with side pressure. The drill press wasn't designed for it.
Dogs Understand Why We Ride

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

A Nation Of Sheep Breeds An Administration Of Wolves

Leave a good footprint -- you may only pass that way once.

PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE

so what drums would be recommended? something where gettin replacement paper is easy/available...
In the long run, if you really need a spindle sander you will be better served with the right tool.
And save the wear and tear on your drill press.
Consider the purchase of this, or the like:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscill.../100061671

I bought one used for less than half retail. It had little use and works well.

Patience and craigslist.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
MarkSingleton said:

In the long run, if you really need a spindle sander you will be better served with the right tool.
And save the wear and tear on your drill press.
Consider the purchase of this, or the like:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscill.../100061671

I bought one used for less than half retail. It had little use and works well.

Patience and craigslist.

Wow...never have seen that-- looks pretty good--using just belt sander belts. neat. perhaps i'll keep my eyes open for a deal on something like that.