Powermatic or Grizzly
If given a choose between a Powermatic PM1000 1.75HP or a Grizzly G1023RLWX 5HP. Which one will you buy?
what are the pros and con?

TIA

Richard
5HP vs 1.75HP would be a big plus selling point for the Griz.
My Opinion is that Powermatic and Jet are not as good a deal as Grizzly. You pay more and sometimes don't get more. In a lot of cases you get less is indicated by the motor. Now, maybe if comes down to fit and finish? Not sure if the surcharge is worth it.

I was a big fan of Jet. I've since started buying Grizzly. This is after looking at most of the Jet and Powermatic in the dealers showroom.

I'm sure both brands will work for you... I just can't find a reason to justify the higher priced model anymore since they are all sourced in asia at possibly the same foundries.
WoodNET... the new safespace
That's was behind my thinking. All are made in Asia, but Powermatic is having the 10% sale which makes it a little better. Is Powermatic today the same as the yesteryears? Or am I leaning towards a Powermatic for the sake of the name?
I'd choose neither and hunt down an older PM66. Then I'd take the money saved, buy a mobile base, a Sharkguard, and an Incra fence and STILL have money left over.
Semper fi,
Brad

I prefer old iron, too, but at $1425 for the Grizzly you'd be hard pressed to find an old PM66 and put all that stuff on it for less. It's amazing Grizzly can offer that much saw at that price. If I were not mechanically inclined (and cheap) it would be an easy decision.

John
Let's see now, a PM1000 at 1.75 HP for ~$1,800 or a Griz 1023RLWX at 5 HP for $1,425; hmmmmm........ maybe the Griz by a mile or so?

Doug
1425.00 + 125 shipping = 1550.00
I looked into a PM66,the owners are very proud of them. They run anywhere from 1500.00 up to 3250.00. Or the really nasty ones for about 1000.00
jteneyck said:

I prefer old iron, too, but at $1425 for the Grizzly you'd be hard pressed to find an old PM66 and put all that stuff on it for less. It's amazing Grizzly can offer that much saw at that price. If I were not mechanically inclined (and cheap) it would be an easy decision.

John

No, you wouldn't. You just need to be patient. I got my PM66 for free. I bought a 60's Unisaw (with ALL attachments) for $150 three years ago.

They're out there.

Semper fi,
Brad