Powermatic or Grizzly
Numbers still work. BTW, does the PM ship for free?

Doug
®smpr_fi_mac® said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

I prefer old iron, too, but at $1425 for the Grizzly you'd be hard pressed to find an old PM66 and put all that stuff on it for less. It's amazing Grizzly can offer that much saw at that price. If I were not mechanically inclined (and cheap) it would be an easy decision.

John

No, you wouldn't. You just need to be patient. I got my PM66 for free. I bought a 60's Unisaw (with ALL attachments) for $150 three years ago.

They're out there.

[/blockquote]

To the OP: Don't hold your breath waiting for a free PM66 to walk through the door; it rarely if EVER happens. I sold my early 2000's Unisaw (factory refurb) ~8 years ago for $1,000 when I bought my SS PCS.

Granted, if you wait long enough, a deal may appear - or not. Just depends on if you want to start using a new cabinet saw now, or wait until who knows when? In the comparison you offered, I still say Griz by a mile - YMMV.

Doug
25 years ago, Powermatic.

Now...grizzly. Everything is made in the far east....why pay a premium for paint and a name.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Yes, life is too short to wait years for a gloat worthy used table saw to come to sale. The OP has the budget to buy a saw now, why wait months and months for a deal that might never come. Now if it's either a "good deal" or no table saw, then by all means, wait for one.

Still a good idea to check local CL for a deal while you are deciding.

I can't tell you which saw to buy. But I will tell you this. I have an older Delta Contractor's saw. It is only 1.5 HP. I have cut a lot of 2" oak, maple, etc on it. You just need a ripping blade. I am sure you could probably feed the wood faster on a 5 HP saw with a ripping blade, but it's not as if I feed slow.. So HP should not be the deciding factor on which saw to buy.

Other factors include: the fence, dust collection ability, and fit and finish things. I am not going to tell you which saw to buy as I don't own either.
Just sold a 2000 vintage UNISAW this morning for $1800: it was in pristine condition, with mobile base and outfeed table. Buyer was tickled pink to get it and I was tickled pink to sell it: a good deal all around.
packerguy® said:

25 years ago, Powermatic.

Now...grizzly. Everything is made in the far east....why pay a premium for paint and a name.

Depends on the machine. It is all made in taiwan yes but certain machines that Powermatic has, Grizz does not. Grizz does not have an exact match to Powermatic bandsaws or the 2700 shaper.

Dont forget Oliver and Baleigh...they have closer matches to Powermatic than Grizz does.

I dont like that Powermatic has been sold and bought AGAIN. I kinda had a bad experience with their CS a week ago.

It all really depends on the machine and i did not look up the models the op was asking about.

®smpr_fi_mac® said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

I prefer old iron, too, but at $1425 for the Grizzly you'd be hard pressed to find an old PM66 and put all that stuff on it for less. It's amazing Grizzly can offer that much saw at that price. If I were not mechanically inclined (and cheap) it would be an easy decision.

John

No, you wouldn't. You just need to be patient. I got my PM66 for free. I bought a 60's Unisaw (with ALL attachments) for $150 three years ago.

They're out there.

[/blockquote]

Yeah, I got my Unisaw for free, too, but I call that a once in a lifetime deal - but then had to spend over $300 to get it running, and I spent another $300 on it for a new fence. My friend found two used Uni's in the past two years. The cheapest was $450, the other $650. Both were good deals - and both needed a new fence so you're looking at another $300 or more for that. Still good deals - but definitely not free. And if he added the other stuff you talked about he'd be well over $1K. At that point, that one with the shiny new green paint is looking pretty good.

Free is nice to say - but rarely really happens.

John
I have a G1023RL and wouldn't trade it for a PM1000.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
For sure, you're getting a lot more saw with the Grizz. One thing to consider, though is the warranty. PM1000 comes with a 5 year warranty. The Grizz warranty is only 1 year. If you want to save a bit more money, go with the 3HP version. Unless you're ripping thick hardwoods all day long, the 5HP doesn't necessarily benefit you.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm not too worried about the HP but for another 50.00 to upgrade from 3-5HP why not.