Source for smallish granite pieces?
I need a circle piece of granite that's ~18" wide and 1" thick but have no clue where to look. Any advice?
Semper fi,
Brad

Custom Counter top , cabinet shops maybe? Seems like a piece that size would be almost Scrap. Try Craigslist, materials. Good Luck.
sink cut out from a granite countertop fabricator
bhh said:

sink cut out from a granite countertop fabricator

Yup. Have one sitting in my shop. Got it for free from a fabricator.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks, gents.
Semper fi,
Brad

Granite supply houses end up with small pieces left over from counters. Contact them.

http://stoneaction.net/website/

http://www.msistone.com/baltimore-counte...tribution/

What are you going to use if for?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It's gonna be the Lazy Susan in the center of the table I'm building.
Semper fi,
Brad

You might also want to consider having whichever fabricator you source it from also do the cutting to shape, and edging for you too. Just give them dimensions, and shape and the world is your oyster.

Depending on wood used, and especially the turn table hardware, and the top may be the lowest cost part of it. Essentially the top cut out is junk to them, and the work is what they do. I've a friend who has made a number of exactly what you are talking about, and he uses $25.00 as a high figure. Sometimes they think this type of marble is la de dah, and needs to be expensive. He usually passes on those cuts.

He uses these tables for most of his marble topped lazy Susan's They cover both weight, and have a flattish surface which he uses a mastic to attach them. Not sure of the mastic, but it's in a regular tube like calk, he get's that from the rock guy where he buys most of his tops. Affixes wood, metal, or plastic to any smoothish rock surface.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Find a decent sized granite installer and they will have a remnant scrap yard. These can typically be bought really cheap. I'd also have them do the edge treatment as well.

Remember, if you contact a counter top guy, while you may see the drop as scrap he may see it as inventory.
My brother does stone work as a business. Many times the customer asks for the sink cutout for a cutting surface or whatever (it's scrap right?). When he brings it and the edges are unfinished and not smoothly cut.
"But how come the edges are so rough?"
He says... It's scrap. If you want my guys to work with our diamond tools to polish it.... That'll be $$.

My new saying in the shop.... I don't have any scrap, I have inventory. When I have pieces too small, they heat my house. If I don't want it for that, it's in the trash outside.

I guess what I'm saying is, Don't going in asking for it for free. You may get it for free. I gave away about $40 worth of Zebrawood yesterday. I guy that turns showed up with a bowl he made from a bunch of Claro I gave him. (probably enough for 6-7 bowls)
ALSO .......
I was talking with a friend in another town, he brought up cabinet shop scraps and how sometimes the guys really didn't want to talk with him about gleaning some scraps.
I told him to show up with...... a homemade cheesecake around lunch time.
" Hi there, My name is Xxxxxx. I know you're busy. My wife made this cheesecake. Oh, here's my card. At times I wonder if I may trouble you for cutoffs. Just give me a holler anytime "
Next week.... chocolate chip cookies.
When they call. Don't be picky. Build a relationship.

Good Lord, I'm wordy today.

Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that