Oneway Stronghold Chuck Key Upgrade
Since buying my Oneway 1640 almost a couple of years ago, I have been frustrated by the chuck key for the Stronghold chucks I bought at the same time. These chucks are incredibly strong and I have 6 of them with all different jaw sizes and types, they are excellent.

I have been quite disappointed however with the chuck key they supply which is pretty frustrating, especially for me. The cross piece is a sliding piece of steel with red plastic nubbies which slide over the end to keep it from sliding out - well, it still slides out. Often when I am holding a project on with one hand and trying to tighten the chuck with the other. I needed an upgrade. My machinist buddy used the existing steel rod as a core and turned two brass halves and used an arbor press to assemble them. This is very comfortable and very strong, a huge upgrade.

Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Love that. I have thought about doing something like that for a knock out bar.
Rich
I had the same problem with my Talon chuck. Scuffed up the ends with 80 grit and glued the rubber thingies on with CA. Has worked well so far. I like your idea better. But don't have a machinist buddy.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

Rich
I had the same problem with my Talon chuck. Scuffed up the ends with 80 grit and glued the rubber thingies on with CA. Has worked well so far. I like your idea better. But don't have a machinist buddy.

Mel

Got a tap? That and some nylocks work, as does dipping in the stuff they use for plier handles.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Very cool-- I imagine the same thing would work with wood instead of brass. Some rosewood or something would be sweet; just make them with a loose fit and epoxy them on.
You can't slide the bar to one side so you lose leverage.
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Yea but it more than makes up for it in the cool factor.

Twinn
Will post for food.