shop cut veneer on this????
I have this table that is made of pine. At least most of it!
Everything is wood except the center of the top and the 3 side panels.
The 3" or so edge around the top is wood.
The center and side panels are mdf, with some kind of fake wood picture on it. The side not shown has 2 wood drawers, and frames.
The mdf top center is about 1/8" below the edge pieces. The side mdf panels are recessed about 1/2"

I want to cut some 1/8' veneer on the band saw and use it to cover the top and sides. I may cut 2" strips for the top and do a herring bone design or some other.

Question is, if the mystery "wood" surface is ok to glue 1/8" veneer to and what glue to use.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Forgot the pic! " />
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
By top and sided you mean just the MDF. if it was me I say yes remove the finish and use yellow glue
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
1/8" thick is okay but don't go thicker.Glue on the MDF is no problem.I would use hot hide glue for several reasons.You can apply the glue to the MDF,install the veneer after the glue dries if you want. This allows you to position ,re-position ,whatever with no problems. Then a heat gun and laminate roller will adhere the veneer to the MDF
Yellow glow should work fine if that is what you have. Especially with a thick veneer like you plan to use.
mike