Refinishing Hardwood Floors
How do I sand and refinish the hardwood floors that cover the entire downstairs of my house without moving out for a week? It's around 1,000 sq. ft. (maybe more - weird angles challenge my geometry) and incorporates every entrance into the house, access to the 2nd floor, even access to the downstairs bathroom. The finish I'm using is the GF water based stuff, so it dries pretty quickly. But, it still doesn't seem like it would be possible to stay in the house while doing the work. Oh, yes, we have a dog.

If the rooms had natural breaks or thresholds, I could do it in sections. But all the rooms downstairs flow into each other. The only way to do it in sections would be to use tape on the floor, but I'm not convinced that the sections would match when they're all done. That would also drag out the project and require me to rent the sanding equipment several times.

I also thought about making walking paths each night with 4 x 8 sheets of hardboard (figured they would't scratch the floor), which might let us still use the house. I could also do the same with canvas drop cloths. But it just seems like covering the floor every night would add countless hours to an already time consuming project.

Any suggestions? I can't be the only person with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Have some pros come in and do it in a day and stay with relatives or in a hotel for a day or 2. If you can not isolate the rooms and still life there plus all the dust and fumes it is not worth it. Even if it is 4 or 5 days, think of it as a vacation. Or actually go on vacation. You will be happier in the long run.
John T.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Have some pros come in and do it in a day and stay with relatives or in a hotel for a day or 2. If you can not isolate the rooms and still life there plus all the dust and fumes it is not worth it. Even if it is 4 or 5 days, think of it as a vacation. Or actually go on vacation. You will be happier in the long run.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I was afraid of that answer and hearing it twice makes it even worse. I suppose you're both right. Guess I'll start looking for a contractor. I hate that, but appreciate the honesty.

Steve
Definitely, hire someone to do it. Sometimes, you just have to admit that it's better to pay someone to do the work than do it yourself. Find a contractor willing to work long days, not just 8 hour days. Look at it this way, how much will a hotel cost each night ? Pay the contractor to work longer days, save on hotel bill,
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Installed unfinished maple flooring in present house---mostly before moving in.Not in dining room/hall, however(for several , convoluted reasons).

Problem is, dining room is central to the front, back, and garage to hall doors. To enter any of those doors, you have to go through the dining room.

So when finishing it(and now living in the house) we had to go in/out of a living room window(luckily, low enough to access inside and out with a short ladder.

Was only for 36 hours(and scheduled for night/sleep time for the first and last 12 hour span), but was not really a pleasant process.

Added for emphasis to the contractor/hotel advice.
Thanks,

Sad to see it's unanimous so far. Entering through a window is a great idea if I had any windows that didn't sit above hardwood floors. We do have two doors from the garage into the house, but they don't help. One door leads into an office (with carpet) but then you're stranded because there's hardwood outside that room. The other door is into the laundry room, but hardwood strands you in there too. I could get into the basement, but without a bathroom or running water down there, that's no help.

I think my idea of walking paths is silly. I thought that I would be able to lay them down overnight between coats, but I'm guessing that's a bad idea.

I'm over it. Will start looking for contractors. If anyone can recommend someone who refinishes hardwood floors in central NJ (around Princeton), please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve you have me racking my brains now. There was a guy that always came highly recommended. You use to see his trucks all the time but have not payed attention to them any more. If i see them I will let you know but you probably will have some one by then. Check the BB report on who ever you get. Get everything in writing. Everything. Amount of time how many coats of finish and the whole nine yards. Good luck.
John T.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Steve you have me racking my brains now. There was a guy that always came highly recommended. You use to see his trucks all the time but have not payed attention to them any more. If i see them I will let you know but you probably will have some one by then. Check the BB report on who ever you get. Get everything in writing. Everything. Amount of time how many coats of finish and the whole nine yards. Good luck.

Thanks, let me know if you think of who it was. The only trucks I ever recall seeing are (I think) Blue Knight and know nothing about them. Finding a reputable contractor without a recommendation is frustrating and time consuming. I have had good luck with contractors when I get their name from someone. Not so much when trying to find one on my own.

Steve
I had to jack up a house once priced tooling, even rental cost which was almost as much as paying someone with insurance. Paid the man went for lunch came back house was 3' taller.

This week paid for my first fence contractor I split it with the neighbor cost was less than material would have been. Some days it better to just write the check and let someone that does it daily get the job done
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.