luxury vinyl tile
I need to replace the flooring in my kitchen. Has anyone used the luxury vinyl tile that you grout just like regular tile? I saw some at Lowes that I liked. I do not want to use real tile because I don't want the floor to be cold.
carwashguy said:

luxury vinyl tile

Thats like saying a luxurious high performance Chrysler K-car.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
well...that is what it is called.
Yes, I did my kitchen a few years ago. I love the stuff. Easy to apply, easy to keep clean, it doesn't get cold, I could go on and on. I did mine as a floating floor, not glued directly to the floor. Highly recommend it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I've never heard of this stuff, but may be interested. How does the grout stay in place if it's floating? Maybe it's a flexible grout?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I used the stuff from HD on a bathroom job. Easy to install and looked nice. That was a couple of years ago and he hasn't called that there is a problem so I guess it is holding up.

Twinn
Will post for food.
We had it installed in the kitchen last year. Love it. Like you said, the floor isn't cold to walk across in bare feet. It has a good feel to it. We looked around and bought ours from a local carpet and flooring store. I contacted the installer they recommended and used him. Results:

The stuff is tough. Have had it a year now and looks like new. A much better product than the engineered hardwood it replaced.

We went with a pro installer since we had transitions to hickory hardwood adjoining in a very visible spot, plus a lot of cutting around kitchen islands, and we wanted the diagonal installation. Plus, the installer did the hickory floor installation, too, so the transitions are perfect.

If you've put down tile before and take your time, it could probably be done DIY just fine.

The grout is a sanded acrylic grout.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Well, technically, it is a floating floor. It is not attached to the subfloor. I used Mannington brand flooring. The recommendation is to use what they call underfloor. Basically, it's vinyl sheet goods without the pattern on the surface. You put that down first, backside up, cut within 1/4" of everything. Then you glue the flooring to the sheet. Then you grout. So technically, the entire system floats. Due to it's weight, I doubt that it moves much. I put it down after the cabinets were installed (I shimmed the cabinets up 1/4") and before the appliances went in. I install kitchens for a living and we have clients do it both ways, install the entire floor first or do it like I did. To each his own so to speak.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
museumguy said:

Well, technically, it is a floating floor. It is not attached to the subfloor. I used Mannington brand flooring. The recommendation is to use what they call underfloor. Basically, it's vinyl sheet goods without the pattern on the surface. You put that down first, backside up, cut within 1/4" of everything. Then you glue the flooring to the sheet. Then you grout. So technically, the entire system floats. Due to it's weight, I doubt that it moves much. I put it down after the cabinets were installed (I shimmed the cabinets up 1/4") and before the appliances went in. I install kitchens for a living and we have clients do it both ways, install the entire floor first or do it like I did. To each his own so to speak.

Our floor is an Armstrong brand, and it's definitely not a floating floor. The installer put a layer of thin ply above the subfloor to get the transitions right with the adjoining traditional hardwood floor. Then he glued each tile to the underlayment. After that was done, they grouted.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
WxMan said:

[blockquote]museumguy said:

Our floor is an Armstrong brand, and it's definitely not a floating floor. The installer put a layer of thin ply above the subfloor to get the transitions right with the adjoining traditional hardwood floor. Then he glued each tile to the underlayment. After that was done, they grouted.

[/blockquote]

Yep, different brand, different procedure. When I have talked to flooring guys, for some reason, Mannington suggests a floating floor, others do not. Now, having said that, the Mannington can be direct glued to underlayment as well. No clue why the floating option but hey, whatever the manufacturer recommends is how I'd do it.

Garry