Workbench build in progress - Pop Wood "2 day workbench" design
Hi all and hope everyone is well

The last couple of days I have been working on a workbench for my shop based on Chris Schwarz's "build a sturdy workbench in two days" from the pop wood shopclass online videos.

I am a woodworker that uses a variety of tools- from scrub planes to CNCs, to get "the job done"

I already have several horizontal surfaces for primary use with power tools but have been missing a bench with proper holding capabilities. My only woodworking bench in the past has been a Sjorbergs bench with 2 vises which eventually racked and sagged quite badly and because it was so light I screwed it to the wall to keep it from "walking across the shop" during vigorous use. My other horizontal surfaces are also too high for me to comfortably plane for more than a swipe or two... and I have discovered that the proper height has a huge effect on me using proper technique to make my tools predictable. I hadn't realized how big a deal that would be... but I have found the impact to be huge.

Primary use for me will be holding boards flat as I quite often work on faces with planes... for this reason I purchased and intend to install a veritas quick release tail vise. (I'm aware it is intended for use with an apron, but I am going to just cut out the chop area so that it stops at the right side leg/top. I am really looking forward to having dogs close to the edge in line with the vise support... (can you guess now why my last bench vise suffered from racking... )

I also do quite a bit of edge work- but don't see a problem with this setup... (please tell me if you disagree!)

I don't do a ton of working on the ends of boards with my benches, but when I do I have never found the hardware of a standard face vise to be a hindrance, but I am very much looking forward to now having the wide leg on the same plane as my edge so that I can secure it. For a face vise I also purchased the Veritas quick release face vise hardware.

The overall heft feels great so far and I will be placing it under a 'soon to be installed' picture window in my 1900 era former grainary. I look forward to the heft overall, but I am not going to lie... my Domino has forever ruined any chance of me doing much hand mortising... though it was fun during Roy's traveling toolbox class I attended a couple of years ago

Any tips on doghole drilling/positioning or on vise installation tips would be appreciated; I'm new at this!... pics coming in the next post.

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6

Location for the bench will be the middle left side of the building... the vertical line in the wall is the location where an old (rotted) sliding barn door is on the side of my shop. I am going to place a large picture window onto this wall to provide me with a bit more natural light.

First up, I purchased the top from Grizzly... it is 96 x 24 x 2.25 and is solid maple. it was pretty flat when I took it out of the box, but since sitting in my shop for a couple of weeks, has developed a 1/32 or so cup which I'll be flattening out once the bench is done

- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
The base is made from big box fir 4x4s which I planed and jointed square and straight after rough cutting and letting dry/acclimate in the shop for a few weeks. The joinery is half laps with the end "U" shapes being glued and lag screwed together and the horizontal stretchers being held in place with long half laps and bolts so that the bench can be knocked down (and tightened to stop any racking from the fir shrinking further)

- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio

The end pieces are doubled 4x4s and are glued together as well as lag bolted in place

The long stretchers prevent racking and are 4 inches off the ground at the current height (which is granted probably about 1 inch higher than its final height will be... my back is finicky and I have found that the best way to adjust my bench height was to use "steps" in front of my bench to find the "right" height where my back is comfortable and then chop the legs off to that height... I'm close now, but would rather take a bit off than try to add it on!)
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
I won't fix the top into place until the vises are in place (I want my tail chop to butt up against the leg as perfectly as I can) But here is what it will look like...

And here are a couple more pics just for kicks...

Me cutting the laps

My view while working... (hard not to get distracted...)

My trusty shop assistant (he wants to build a mini bench next)

More pics to come once I get the vises in place and the bench in position- thanks for looking and comments/suggestions are appreciated!

It's so great to be getting a shop back together after a couple years away...

Lawrence
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
One things for sure ..... you won't need to screw that to the wall to keep it from moving. Nice bench and a great location to use it.

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Lawrence,

Nice post about your building your bench. I looked at your photo bucket pics also and was surprised to see the plack of the air stream camper. What surprised me was the city and state on the plack, that is where I was born and raised. I dont see that often.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
A great looking bench!

I hope you will find this little bit of drool:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...part=1&vc=1

..helpful when installing your LV tail vice. Best done, with the top upside down.
Holler if you have any questions.
Ag
Thanks all-
Capt Jack, the sign was made for a fellow woodworker here on woodnet- I've PM'd him this post

AG - your link/post is pure gold for me right now... thank you! I'll let you know when I have problems

Thanks again all. No woodworking today (stayed up all night with a sick kid with a stomach bug... I'm too tired to doing anything for the first time let alone try to attach vise hardware that is "finicky"!)

Lawrence
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
Great shop!
[Image: 19883933659_baf12312a0_z.jpg]