Workbench build in progress - Pop Wood "2 day workbench" design
captjack said:

Lawrence,

Nice post about your building your bench. I looked at your photo bucket pics also and was surprised to see the plack of the air stream camper. What surprised me was the city and state on the plack, that is where I was born and raised. I dont see that often.

That is my Plaque and it is a Spartan

Lawrence did a great job on the sign.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Just a post to act as a placeholder.

Very interested to see in how this unfolds.
chris
Sorry so long between posts and thanks for the interest!

I stepped away for a few days due to a stomach bug that knocked the heck out of me and my family... but managed to get the vise hardware on and the tail chop fitted today.

I cut the chop recess out of the top with a jigsaw with a bosch xtraclean for wood blade... it was slow going (and I had to move the cut deeper after my first attempt wandered from side pressure) but I eventually managed to get it close and then used a combination of planes and belt sander to get it square and true. I then mounted both the tail vise and the front vise hardware, using center punches to nail the alignment.

I glued up the chop in cherry, well oversized and then trued it up using a jointer, planer, table saw and miter saw

I marked up the hole locs and added the mounting holes and countersinks
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
I mounted the chop on- marked my lines so that the chop would line up with the top/leg and then planed the chop to these marks. Finally, I cut the corner off to line up with the corner of the bench.

tomorrow, I run to the store for more cherry for the front vise face and then add it. I'll follow that up with leather on the vise jaws and then dog holes....

I also have a little dressing up to accomplish- the top has a slight cup that I'll need to take out and the leg joinery needs to be planed down a whisker in places to make it all co-planar.

Lawrence
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio

Ag
Almost Done!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zV76SqtvTUE

Heres a quick video i did of the bench

Finally done....leather on vise faces, holes drilled, Pop up bench dogs made today.... Next up, a window to go above it....

I love how quickly and securely this bench holds fast anything i seem to throw at it.

Lawrence
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
Thanks for the post and the video, good stuff. Let us know after you've worked on it awhile, what changes you would make next time if any.

Now time to get to work on the smaller bench for the young man.
Love the build-along, Lawrence! Your video is well-executed, and you have a natural instructor's voice (the military tends to make a lot of us good presenters). The pop-up bench dogs are really clever. You might want to consider drilling some dog holes farther into the center of the bench to use with your holdfasts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks great! Just spent a couple of days on building the same style of workbench with a few modifications and really like the simple design. I laminated two 1 1/2" butcher block countertops I got from Sears on sale and went with a split top bench. Since my shop is a garage, I also went with workbench casters to make the bench mobile when I need it.

Still have to install the vises (twin screw front left, inset vise on right), make the planing stop/tool holder to fill the gap, install bottom shelf, and drill dog holes.

At this rate, I'm going to have to rename this the 2 week bench....

" />