Kitchen Cab Shelves
What are folks using for adjustable kitchen cab shelves? Everything I have seen is 1/2", but I don't know what it is. Needs to start flat and stay flat.
Saratoga, NY
I'll be making new cabinets soon and am planning on 3/4" thick shelves.
Of course, overall flatness will depend on the overall size, support, and the weight stored on it.
Ray
Obviously, it's a matter of preference. However, if you can justify the need for a 4' x 8' sheet, get pre-finished birch or maple ply, 3/4" thick. You can get matching edge tape as well. Saves time. Oh, also, veneer core.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
So much depends on the span of the shelf

under 18" particle board skinned with melamine fairly standard above that thicker stock or high end will go with veneer core plywood.

You can stiffen the PB with hardwood cleat edges front and back extending the spans.

Options abound you just have to decide what you want
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

What JGrout said.

I prefer melamine cabinet interiors as they clean easier and it looks so much better than a clear coated ply interior. Much brighter inside. I use 1/2" melamine with a hardwood face to add strength and it matches the cabinets. 5/8" for wider shelves ie 3' cabs.
In fact made several today for the corner pantry with cherry edges.

And if you are going to use melamine don't use that junk at the borg. It's very hollow. I usually use Roseburg melamine as its not full of air like most PB core is and since it's solid it glues very well. I just use an 80 tooth Irwin blade to cut it and get no chip out unless I forget to change out to a good ZCI.
I've been using 3/4 melamine with a t-molded edge for over 20 years. Never had someone bring one back for sagging ( that doesn't mean they haven't sagged, just never enough to bother anyone . I make spans up to 40" without center support.
I have 32 wide x 28 deep shelves in my pantry. They are 3/4" BB Ply with a nose, and a back side edge of 3/4" hard maple. A few are "can shelves" and they are loaded from time to time, and just the ply according to sagulator should be bowed. They are not.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I use 3/4 pre finished maple plywood
Mark
My kitchen cabs have 1/2" melamine and sag.... it's on my list. I need to add center supports (the center styles are drilled for pins, but I don't have pins with matching offset), and remake the shelves. As nice as melamine is to clean, I may go with ply for stiffness, since I doubt I can find the good particle board mentioned above.
Benny

I will be replacing my builder-grade shelves with 3/4" birch. I finish the shelves myself.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.