Peppermill Question
Making my first peppermills out of walnut and have a question. Should I apply Salad Bowl Finish to the interior surfaces?
Maybe, bare in mind that the pepper kernels are going to abrade the poly off (both major brands are thinned poly)

I usually do coat the inside of mills with poly though.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Thanks, I thought I saw a post onetime that said to coat the insides.
Do not finish the interior. No need to sand, either. The only reason I can think of to do anything to the interior is if you use a very oily wood. In that case, you might want to wipe the interior with mineral spirits and let it dry before assembly. Any finish- whether penetrating or film - will rub off into the pepper during operation. I'd rather taste pepper and not varnish.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have been making them for years. I never have used a finish on the inside. All I do is clean out the interior with a baby bottle brush, it removes any dust particles and loose pieces of wood.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member