Gluing a 2x10
I am wanting to increase the width of a bench by gluing a 2x10 for the increased width. What is the best way to do this besides just lining up the best you can and gluing and clamping?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
dowels or biscuits will help.

I simply glue and clamp and add clamps and cross cauls to hold alignment.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Thanks!
When you're done, hit it with a hand plane to level it. It'll need it.
Semper fi,
Brad

You can by a jig for dowels or get one of these Domino XL that will do large loose tenons. Will go to 5½" length and 14mm (0.55 thick). You can also buy 3rd party cutters and use the smaller Domino loose tenons for smaller projects. It will actually aids to the strength not just does minor alignment. It will eliminate the need for cross cauls and likely for planing to cleanup the joint. You can get one from your local dealer on a 30 day trial for free. If you don't like it just take it back.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Grey Eagle said:

I am wanting to increase the width of a bench by gluing a 2x10 for the increased width.
Jerry

When I see 2x anything I think of construction grade lumber, not sure if this is where you are going? If it is then you may want to make a top similar to a picnic table top, instead of a glue up.

What you do with the top surface is up to you, but if it were me I would leave a little room between your 2x10's because they will swell across their width seasonally. You will also be starting with wetter wood, IE: not kiln dried, and this it will be more prone to seasonal movement, as well as your standard wood defects from unequal drying, see below. Knots aren't a biggie, unless they are loose, and prone to fall out.

I think of all of these things when I think of 2x10. Screwed down to cross battens like the picnic table it tends to hold the boards steady to overcome defects, you will still have the movement issues though.

If you want to make a glue up with 2x material I would suggest you rip the boards to whatever thickness your top is to be, and glue them side by side. I would joint the wood 4 square, and glue them up into 4 to 6" wide pieces, and then glue those together. It will be much more stable, and will be a solid top.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for all the reply's!
Semper Fi says, "Hit it with a hand plane." I did that once, and broke the plane!
JR1 said:

You can by a jig for dowels or get one of these Domino XL that will do large loose tenons. Will go to 5½" length and 14mm (0.55 thick). You can also buy 3rd party cutters and use the smaller Domino loose tenons for smaller projects. It will actually aids to the strength not just does minor alignment. It will eliminate the need for cross cauls and likely for planing to cleanup the joint. You can get one from your local dealer on a 30 day trial for free. If you don't like it just take it back.

I'm more than a little dubious about the adds strength claim. The glue is already stronger than the wood, so anything you do cannot add strength at best and at worst, will weaken the structure. Would you please explain how a domino adds strength to an edge glue up?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Simple, as you point out the glue is much stronger than the wood so increasing the glued area of the joint with dominoes or for that matter with dowels will effectively increase the strength. Always assuming, of course, that there is glue evenly over the whole surface of the domino.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes