ARRRRR!! A Treasure Chest
I'm working on a small project for my BILs wedding this summer. I started with this article from popular woodworking.

They want a treasure chest for people to place their wedding cards into. I've got the box built just fine but contemplating hardware. LOML says to keep costs minimal so I am going with 4" strap hinges and a hasp from the BORG. I'll strip the zip and antique them, but to attach screws does not look right to me.

I was looking around and found these drive screws . They would give the riveted look I'm going for. The question is, will they hold in the soft pine I've used? I'm thinking pre drill, put some epoxy or JB Weld in the hole and drive them in. I'd use them to attach both hinges and the hasp. Do you think my plan of epoxy and these drive screws will hold?

I'm not looking to make this bomb proof, but thought they could use it to store pictures or something in after the wedding, so I'd like it to stay together under light use.

Any other suggestions on how to get a similar exterior look with a different product are welcome.
~ Chris
Would these iron screws work? Antique look. From Lee Valley.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You might take a look at these cut nails . I have used some and they hold very well but you could test on some scrap.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Or real rivets?

Brass from Lee Valley

Or rose head copper nails and roves from Jamestown Distributors.

Use regular nails: strip the zinc coating, drive and clinch the ends.

Authentic even.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
All good suggestions. I ordered some of the drive screws from fastenal... 30 for 82 cents. Figured I could play with them and be out less than a buck. If they are a bust looks like I have several good options!
~ Chris