Classroom Mail Center ... how to make cuts
I need to make several of these . What is the best way to cut the slots in the vertical dividers ( so I can slide in shelves. The shelves would be about 1/4". Thanks for any suggestions.
Don
Router and a fence.
Well, Bye...
Do you have a dado stack for your table saw?
Either of the above will work. Unless you don't want the dado's for the shelves to show - then you'd want to use the router & 1/4" bit to make stop-dados

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Joel H. said:

Either of the above will work. Unless you don't want the dado's for the shelves to show - then you'd want to use the router & 1/4" bit to make stop-dados

Joel

True. Or you could apply some nice trim on the front edges to hide the edge of the plywood or MDF.
A dado head on a radial arm saw would be the easiest. I would attach an indexing square dowel on the rear stop to ensure that all the slots were evenly placed.

On a table saw I would also use a dado head and a sled. Have the indexing square dowel glued to the sled so that the slots are evenly placed.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Dado and spacing jig in a table saw. Rip them out of extra wide stock which you can then cut apart to make each divider. This will ensure that all parts exactly match. Order would be... dado one side... cut of one sided end panels. dado other side of remaining... rip into each center double sided part.
WoodNET... the new safespace
If you wanted to save time and honestly make it look a little neater, use these dividers from Rockler.

I've used them vertically for the same exact application you need them for on a reception desk at a junior high school.

Since they are clear they blend in to what ever you mount them to.

Better than a lot of unsightly dado's

Dividers
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV