Upsizing elect motor in 14" jet
I know this has been discussed but re-looking at it for myself again after really over burdening my 14 year old Jet with a one hp motor.
Resawing some hard maple with a new timberwolf blade and it was just working it way too hard.
Hot smells coming from the motor.
Stalling out.
Looking at 1-1/2 motor.
500 plus bucks for a Baldor.
Can get a "farm duty" for about half.
Don't really know what Farm Duty means.
Lighter bearings?
Lighter windings?
Wonder how it might work in a band saw.
Have a 20" Rockwell torn down that I plan on renewing in the future but thinking of this mod as well.
Experience or any feed back appreciated.
For a band saw don't worry too much about the motor type. Just get one that has the hp you want at a good price. Northern tool used to have decent prices on lesson motors and farm supplies have motors but usually a little more expensive there.

I have a few parts that I need to have machined for my 36" bandsaw. Will also need a motor for it thouh no is plea what size as it was originally steam powered.
Maddog said:

I know this has been discussed but re-looking at it for myself again after really over burdening my 14 year old Jet with a one hp motor.
Resawing some hard maple with a new timberwolf blade and it was just working it way too hard.
Hot smells coming from the motor.
Stalling out.

If you don't replace it now, you'll be replacing it soon. Working it that hard, which means loading it beyond its 1 hp rating, will heat the windings well beyond their normal design temperatures. Every 10 deg. C increase equates to roughly halving the design life time at temperature, and if you're smelling it, it's probably many intervals beyond that. Just so you know.
Maddog said:

Looking at 1-1/2 motor.
500 plus bucks for a Baldor.
Can get a "farm duty" for about half.
Don't really know what Farm Duty means.
Lighter bearings?
Lighter windings?
Wonder how it might work in a band saw.

'Farm Duty' generally means double-sealed bearings, usually with a shaft slinger on the outboard end, and epoxy paint to resist the nasty vapors and such found in places like poultry houses. Torque curves, AFAIK, are the same as general-purpose motors.

'Compressor Duty', on the other hand, usually means cheaply made to run hard then sit and cool, as they are typically more cheaply made, with open frames, and often not even really drip-proof. If you look at the nameplate on most belt-driven compressors in places like the BORGs, the output power is usually marked 'spl' or 'special', in fact. But I don't believe that's a NEMA designation. I'm not even sure 'Farm Duty' is, either, but amongst the major manufacturers, at least 'Farm Duty' consistently means it's made for the tough environment of farm service.

If your intent is to resaw hard with it, consider going up to 2 hp, and even with 1-1/2 hp, run it on 240V power so saggy voltage doesn't make the heating issue worse (drooping voltage = higher current draw for the same load at the shaft).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
TDKPE said:

If your intent is to resaw hard with it, consider going up to 2 hp, and even with 1-1/2 hp, run it on 240V power so saggy voltage doesn't make the heating issue worse (drooping voltage = higher current draw for the same load at the shaft).

TDKPE knows what he's talking about.
This motor should give you more power than that saw frame will handle. Linky
Leeson; http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/...TOR-10-1028.axd

Or import; http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/...TOR-10-2908.axd
Herb G said:

Wrong speed, OP needs an 1725 rpm motor
jlanciani said:

[blockquote]Herb G said:

Wrong speed, OP needs an 1725 rpm motor

[/blockquote]
I don't see that in his post. They make the same motor in 1725 rpm's also. Linky .
Thanks for all the replies!
Great input!
I like the price on the grizzly motors.
I need to take a closer look at the dim's between the 1-1/2 and 2 hp
Depending on your situation and needs .... what about converting that new motor money in new saw money