Toy chest hinge grief
Have made a toy chest and am TRYING to install a "safety" hinge so little fingers will not get slammed by lid. I have run into different dimensions on the drawing and plans. Plans from Woddsmith show one thing, whereas hinge intructions just do not work. Has anyone ever had this problem? When installed. lid will not shut.
hi rick i did a soft lid support on the one i did for grankids rockler has them about 20 works great
south vietnam war collage
What kind of "safety" hinge are you using?
Google "Wood Whisperer toy box" and view his solution and design.
the problem... its a lid support for toy chests, so kids fingers do not get slammed. The dimentions on the picture just do not work. It is a Rockler purchased one. I feel like throwiing it out the back door. It will not close all the way, does not open and stay. I purcased one years ago, made almost an identical toy box, with same time of lid support - it works fine, Back then, it was probably made in Tenn., WV somewhere. Not this one. Dimension for the picture for a left had support and the right are different, as are the drawing instructions. I can only drill so many holes. I do not want to ruin what I made!!!
It would help to know if it were:

These hinges

Installation notes

These

Installation notes

These

Installation notes

Or something else. If you can go to the Rockler page and copy what they call it exactly then we would know what you are dealing with. Generally failure of any of the 3 shown hinges to close completely is due to the hinge is mounted too high on the side wall, or you have the attachments on the lid not straight up from the attachment on the side wall, so the hinge tries to collapse, instead of close. I wouldn't worry about the instructions matching the hinge installation. The plan could be from 4 generations of the hinge ago, and is possibly sized differently. Just make sure your parts are sized correctly, and put the hinge on. Extra hands to hold the lid, while you attach the hardware are helpful.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've seen that one, thanks. Real easy install instructions also. One I am using (not adept at getting picture of it in here) from Rockler. I am giving one last try this morning. I will install it on a chest I made for myself years ago ( built is same from WS plans) rather than try another installl so this gift chest will not look like a woodpecker went to town on the insdie.
I made a toy box for my granddaughter this Christmas. I used the Rockler lid-stay torsion hinges which I also use on blanket chests. They not only don't let the lid slam, the lid will stay in any position if the hinges are sized right.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
My wife insisted I for once read the instructions, when grumbles heard.
I threw them away. Working fine now. Thanks for input!
I've made toy chests for all my grandchildren and many others using the Rockler finger savers. When visiting them, I find the question is moot. All the boxes soon overflow and the top stays permanently open.