Basic woodcarving books and patterns
I am taking several classes in woodcarving. Being a beginner I would like to practice doing relief carvings that are not too difficult. I'm looking for patterns for relief carvings that I might try. Can you recommend any books that would contain patterns that a novice could try? Thanks.
I have bought a number of carving books over the years, but have found them not so helpful in improving my carving skills and techniques. Most carving books spend a lot of pages on the tools themselves before getting into carving techniques. I have, however, found Mary May's online tutorials and patterns to be very helpful. She focuses on carving techniques in her tutorials while showing what tool(s) she is using. So, although you've asked for recommendations of woodcarving books/patterns, suggest you take a look at what Mary May offers online. Scroll down the following link to find quite a few 'free' patterns and videos for beginners. You'll need to register to access them, but it won't cost you a penny.

https://www.marymaycarving.com/carvingschool/

If you like what you see in the free stuff area, you can pay for a month of download access (for about the same cost as a new carving book) to download any of her many patterns and tutorials. I have found them to be most helpful in learning and doing new carving techniques and in using various carving tools.

Tom
Mary May helped me and the others in some free video sessions to learn carving and she is fantastic to learn from.

My ineptitude in carving is not due to her teaching but from lack of proper tools and well lack of understand the basics of carving wood.

I would greatly recommend her.

She has where you can subscribe to all of her videos for a monthly fee and I do feel it would be well worth it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thank you for telling me about Mary May's online school. I spent the last several hours watching tutorials from her online school. I learned a lot about carving tools and basic carving techniques and it was all free! I definitely plan to get a subscription to her classes. You were very helpful.
Another great site is Chris Pye's Woodcarving Workshop

There are hundreds of hours of video instruction on all sorts of carving (including relief, in-the-round, lettering, tool care, etc.). There is also patterns available and tool lists.

Well worth the subscription price IMO.
"I don't have time to measure twice!" My ex-coworker.
stmfitr636 said:

Another great site is Chris Pye's Woodcarving Workshop

There are hundreds of hours of video instruction on all sorts of carving (including relief, in-the-round, lettering, tool care, etc.). There is also patterns available and tool lists.

Well worth the subscription price IMO.

Thank you for the link.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A while back I found a book online that is a truly great woodcarving book. This book breaks down the task of carving; the challenges of carving, into a simple series of exercises. The exercises are presented in ever increasing complexity.
The manner in which the author guides the reader (student) reminds me of drills in sports practice. If you like baseball as much as I do, you probably take the time, when you can, to take in the defensive drills. A coach with a fungo will hit the ball to the infielders over and over to simulate the events that might occur in the game. A high bouncer to the shortstop, make the throw to first. Over and over again, until you've got it right. This book addresses carving in that way.
Follow the link to a page, and select the book, "Wood Carving" BY JOSEPH PHILLIPS
INSTRUCTOR OF WOOD CARVING, MODELLING, AND OTHER ART SUBJECTS
Link below:
http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-books...books.html
Incidentally, allow me to share my (immensely unpopular) view regarding what woodcarving consists of. Picture a pie chart, roughly divided into three equal wedges. A fourth, very thin wedge, is also there, but barely perceptable.
Wedge 1- Drawing.
I believe this is the very most important skill for woodcarving. I think this might even be a 50% wedge or more. The need for this skill eclipses all others. If you are to carve, you MUST be skilled at drawing. You can learn. If you are serious about carving, you absolutely must be skilled at drawing.
Wedge 2- Sharpening.
You need to know how to sharpen.
Wedge 3- Actually carving.
That's what you're going to do, isn't it? You need to carve to get used to it. This is LESS important than drawing.
The fourth (tiny) wedge is everything else. This includes, but is not limited to, knowledge of wood characteristics, knowledge of historical styles, knowledge of glue, etc., etc.

Understand: Drawing is producing a two dimensional something or other on a piece of paper with an instrument called a pencil.
Carving is producing a three dimensional something or other on a piece of wood with an instrument called a chisel.
They are the same thing.
I've used a baseball analogy before, so I'll use one more...
Player: I'm a baseball player, and I'm going to be in the World Series.
Fan: Will you play catch with me?
Player: I can't play catch. I am not good at it, I don't know how.

How I learned to carve when I was seventeen:
http://home.earthlink.net/~paulkmurphy/P9070007.JPG