Finished Bench Stool - HandTools - Sellers Design
Finished my bench stool build, very happy with it. This was my first time for angled mortise & tenons, but I followed Mr. Sellers instruction, and it turned out great using a storyboard on a piece of plywood. Once the bevel angle was set, I could use the same bevel on all of my shoulder cuts, and it would finish square. I did realize I needed a better bevel gauge than the plastic one I had....

Shaping the legs went well, I was nervous I would shape down too low and say Hello to a mortise hole, but luckily that didn't happen.

Cutting the curves on the rails was no problem. Stop cuts with the tenon saw, then chisel to the line. Spokeshave to cleanup, but the radius was too tight for my flat boggs... so I had to improvise with a scraper...

I was supposed to carve the seat.. I tried 2 versions, both of which I used to keep us warm last night... Ended up just making a flat seat for now until my skills/tooling improves.

Stool is made from Alder, and finished in 3 coats BLO and wax. Super fun build.

That's very cool. I've watched tons of Sellers' videos, but never made any of the projects. May need to try one. Or two.

Steve
Nice stool! I built a chinese three-legged stool several years ago for my shop. I love it, but I can't use the stretchers for a foot rest. I think yours would be more comfortable because of the stretcher design/location.
Nice job looks great. zi am a big fan of Paul Sellers and it is on my list once I can get back in the shop.

Steve
Window Guy said:

Nice job looks great. zi am a big fan of Paul Sellers and it is on my list once I can get back in the shop.

Steve

DARN it is nice to see Steve commenting here again!!!!!!!!

Also, I really like the look, design and proportions of the stool. Be very proud of this stool because you will have this beauty a long, long time.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
I also built one using oak and juniper (tamarack to some). Fun build and super comfortable. Every shop needs one.

Awesome Donavan. Thanks for sharing yours. I'm jealous of your carved seat.. Maybe one day.
No need to be jealous. I followed Sellers technique with a gouge which works surprisingly well. But for the final shaping I cheated by using a grinder with a flapper disk designed for metal. Give it a shot. If you built that bench and tool tote in the background pic, you have the skills to carve that seat.

Donovan
Nice. I really like the curves.
It looks great!
So does your bench.
Ag