Salt shaker idea
First off I had no idea that Apple was sooooo perrrrty and turns excellent

while this shaker turned out very nice. My ides for a better shaker, Not so much.
I thought that turning the shaker over and pulling out a cork to fill it while holding the holes shut so salt don't run out, could be improved upon.(the taller the more difficult operation)
first thought was threaded top, right? great I have a threader but it will have the be rather thin with a large enough hole in it so strength might be a problem . you could easily break it and I also wanted the grain to line up perfectly. hummm enter idea #2

buy some pvc fittings. what a great idea, right? so I bought a 1" threaded coupling and a 1" nipple cut each in half giving me two. cheep and easy. every thing work out great. grain lined up perfect top screwed off and on smoothly.
Nice clean look easy to do.

then came time to fill it. poring in salt worked great, screw on top apparently salt attracts to pvc like static. I even taped it down before hand but to my surprise the top would only go half way. took it apart cleaned it with a tooth brush and waxed it, now works ok but can't use the idea for sales

Oh well back to the cork

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
[blockquote]Woodshop said:

I even taped it down before hand but to my surprise the top would only go half way. took it apart cleaned it with a tooth brush and waxed it, now works ok but can't use the idea for sales

Real cool!!

I had that problem when I made my pencil box. Pipe threads are tapered, not straight like a bolt. I put the insert in a chuck, turned at my slowest speed, about 50 rpm, in reverse. I held a small file against the insert, at the bottom of the threads, and as it turned it backed out, filing the pvc down. If you can't turn that slow, turn it by hand. Make it work before you glue it in.

" />
The PVC and the taper are the issue as said above.

Sounds to me like a perfect excuse to buy thread cutting tools and learn a new lathe technique!

And yes, Apple is a wonderful wood as most fruit woods are.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Don

I really like it and the wood looks like it is so creamy and smooth looking.

I turned several urns before using PVC and I did just like Hairy did by mounting it in a chuck and trued up the inside and outside. After that I put bees wax on the inside while it was turning and then used a clean cloth to wipe it out.

I have never turned apple and it sure does look nice to use. Do you know what I can buy some?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks guys
Hairy
I am only using the very tapered end, the rest is glued in side. I'm just afraid that even if the threads are very loose the salt will still be a problem, Simply buy getting lodged in the threads from the inside with everyday use. when you take the top off it could get drug along out ruining the threads. I cant take that chance with my customers. it will need some testing. with salt the cork is the best, at least for now. I have 3 to make for a very good client with 3 pepper mills.

Don
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop