window wells
Hi all

I am finishing an old basement. There is no drainage tile around the outside of the foundation. There is drainage tile around the interior perimeter in the concrete floor, which drains to a sump with pump. The foundation is old - 1953 - and has cracks. I filled all I could with injectable epoxy before starting the project.

Traditionally the basement does not have a big water problem as long as the sump is running (there have been times when it wasn't - I would classify that as management error...) although there is of course potential for infiltration.

Basement windows are generally 1-2" above grade. The grade varies from flat to 1-3" settled around the house. I am regrading to bring up the grade around the house 8" higher than where it currently is, and slope it uniformly away. This will put the top of my projected grade a few inches above the bottom of the windows. Window wells seem like the best way to accommodate this.

My question then is what is the best way to install these (shallow) wells recognizing that there is no way to tie a well drain into the interior drainage tile, and there is no exterior drainage tile. Excavate a few feet or even right to the base of foundation and fill with pea gravel? Excavate a few feet and install drainage tile out away from the foundation towards the yard? Install a plastic cover or not? Since I am excavating anyway should I put a waterproofing membrane on the exterior foundation wall?

There must be lots of older houses without exterior tile drainage that have window wells and I am very interested in any experience with what to do or not do to make them work in that application.

As always thanks a ton for all information.
-DC

"I have morons on my team."
-Megatron, 1986
If the windows are for light only, meaning not able nor wanted to be opened, use window well covers.

Other than that, adding french drains(the gravel pits) would be the next method to deal with the water disposal. Would want the pits away from the foundation, as next to it would increase hydraulic pressure.