Using the Big Ugly
Follow up to making the Big Ugly. I launch one here.... thou shalt not show off for the camera....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4x8pZN6...load_owner

robo hippy
Thanks for the good laugh Robo

Reminds me of a platter I launched a few years ago.
Suddenly it was gone, I had enough time to wonder where it was, as I didn't hear any "thunk" or "crash".

You recall my shop ceiling goes up to about 14 ft? Well the platter had gone straight up and down, to thunk on the ways.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Yeah that was "interesting!" Suddenly gone. I watched the moment several times and the combination of heavy cut, distance off the tool rest and the tool was drifting down made it dismount (plus the soft wood). Other than that the big ugly looks like it can hog off a lot of material.

Doug
Doug,
Well, I wasn't more than 2 inches off the tool rest, so that isn't far, at least for me and that tool. Also, when cutting near the center of the bowl, you need to be at center height or it will not cut. Yea, I was taking too much. On my big lathe, I would have been turning at much higher rpm. That piece of wood did sit outside too long. The sap wood on the blank was too soft to turn, and the heart wood has just enough meat to get a nice smooth cut with no rotten chunks tearing out, but still much lighter than most fresh myrtle.

robo hippy
I just got a couple of his Big Ugly's and I can not wait to put handles on them.

I just touched the ends and they were sharper then normal ones. If you really do want a good scrapper talk to him about getting one!!!

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,
They do have a big burr on them, and it is really heavy duty.

Side note here, I am not selling them, but that remains a possibility. I donated them to Arlin for his Vets group, and Arlin, you will get a couple of CBN wheels in a day or so. Keep up the good work with your group.

robo hippy
I realized that the straight section for my (old) Don Pencil Scorpion hollowing system takes a 3/8 insert. I found a 3/8 round Tantung (unused) cutter on eBay, so "soon" I will see how that works out
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
If you can do it in action or show us the shavings.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

They make all sorts of sized of tangtung inserts for metal cutting, and it works great for that as well. Don't extend tips very far without support as it is very brittle. A number of people have been using it for hollowing tips for a long time. I have thought I should retip my McNaughton hollowing tools as well as my coring blades.

robo hippy
O boy that would be a great idea for coring tools. I traded my McNaughton hollowing tools for an easier hollowing system to someone here since I never used them.

I am thinking you would have a lot of people want you to do theirs including me.