LOML finally picked a color
for the kitchen cabinets. I never knew there were so many different shades of white.

She picked out two, I bought color samples(I still prefer Sherwin Williams, even if the samples cost) and painted four doors, two on each side of the sink. Final is ProMar200 water based acrylic alkyd gloss.

Original cabinets in the house(1965), built by the man who built the house. See no reason to tear them out, they are better than new now.

New color(the test doors are on the right):
Nice! How did you apply the paint? (and congrats on finally getting the color picked out, probably the hardest part )
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah lots of shades of white. Hats why I prefer painting things black as there is only one shade of black.

I wish the cabs in our 1960 house were that good. Ours were built in place garbage even back then. Also built by the guy that built the house and if he were alive today I'd like to rip him a new one for some of the crap the person did..

I went with frameless melamine boxes and have most of the doors and fronts ready to start staining the edges of the panels so I can glue them up. The melamine boxes are so much nicer than ply interiors. Nice and bright and clean like your painted interiors.

I don't envy you painting cabinets in place as that's a real pain and getting that white to look good is tough.
Using a Purdy man made bristle cut in brush and one inch diameter(6" long) 3/8" nap rollers. The smaller dia. rollers are beveled on each end, which minimizes roller streaks.
Robert Adams said:

Yeah lots of shades of white. Hats why I prefer painting things black as there is only one shade of black.

Um, sorry, but not true about black. Still, I get your point.

OP: Too late now I suppose, but painting over solid natural wood is not what I would have done. Couldn't you freshen the finish and install new hardware and end up with something better than what MDF cabinets look like?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Some of us prefer painted cabinets. Why rip out perfectly functional cabinets? Besides, I prefer wood to MDF.
I usually agree with the not painting wood idea, especially oak cabinets. These are made with cabinet grade ply(1965 vintage plywood). They were stained with what looks to be fruitwood stain(was popular then)---which is my least favorite stain color.

I thought about buying/building new doors and doing something with the finish on the frames, but anything other than painting would be more expensive than painting.

We have been discussing the change for 6+ years.

New hinges/pulls were $160. Primer was $30, paint $82, new rollers $5. Labor is free(so she says )

And she likes it.
crokettâ„¢ said:

Some of us prefer painted cabinets. Why rip out perfectly functional cabinets? Besides, I prefer wood to MDF.

+1
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
TomFromStLouis said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

Um, sorry, but not true about black. Still, I get your point.

OP: Too late now I suppose, but painting over solid natural wood is not what I would have done. Couldn't you freshen the finish and install new hardware and end up with something better than what MDF cabinets look like?

[/blockquote]

Nope only one shade of black. Black is the total absence of color. Anything else is a color but not a true black.
The temps went down and the humidity up this morning.

Gloss paint needs to be hard dry before handling, everything I painted yesterday is still sticky.

And now it's raining---priming/painting in the garage---on hold.

LOML took 6 years to pick a color, wants the cabs done tomorrow.

She's running into Do it right the FIRST time!!! and I ain't budging.