Opening A Wall
Current access to new space I am finishing upstairs is through a door. That door is now the entrance to one of the rooms. I've left part of a wall open in that new room get access to the rest of the space. I will be taking out a wall which will extend the existing hallway to give access to the other room. What I'mr removing is 4' wide and 8' high. The entire new space is insulated and most of the rock is up. HVAC ductwork is in, but final hookup hasn't been made yet. That happens in 2 weeks. Next weekend assuming I were to take the wall out and put up heavy plastic, is that going to cause issues with heating the current finished space? I'd like to close up what I left open and finish hanging the drywall so the taping can start.
No, the plastic will work fine to allow the other spaces to be heated adequately. If not, wear a sweater.
WoodNET... the new safespace
How did you determine if the wall you are removing is not load bearing?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Because nothing that was added upstairs is load bearing. The base model of this house the upstairs isn't finished out at all. It's a 30' wide by 72' long clear span
I take it that it's a truss roof? I wish they used them here as they are very rare. Labor is cheaper than trusses here.
well technically rafters/collar ties are a truss so yeah, it's a truss. what it actually is, is rafters/collar ties and kneewalls. I'm not touching the kneewalls, just a wall the builder put up. The kneewalls are 5' high, that rises to a little north of 8' under the collar ties.