Wayfair solid wood flooring "Old Growth wide hickory bamboo flooring??
http://www.wayfair.com/Old-Growth-5-W-Hi...l?ds=27885

Does this description make any sense??
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'm guessing it has a bamboo substrate with hickory veneer maybe.
stav said:

I'm guessing it has a bamboo substrate with hickory veneer maybe.

It would not make a sensible product. You could not re-finish it with just a veneer on the top. And the bamboo substrate is certain to be more expensive than the MDF that is usually used.

"Old growth" bamboo is total nonsense. And the picture definitely looks like hickory and not bamboo.

So I cannot figure out what it is.
This from the BJ's warehouse online description:

Islander engineered strand bamboo flooring features a thick-sawn (4mm) wear layer and 7-ply cross grain base that may be floated, stapled or glued down on any level of the home or office. With its eco-friendly performance that is perfect for any decor, strand bamboo creates a beautiful and unique style that mimics the look of hardwood graining. Islander sources only Moso bamboo, widely recognized as the highest quality raw material for bamboo flooring. Islander engineered bamboo flooring is 20 percent harder than domestic oak and is extremely durable and resistant to indentations. Coupled with a tough aluminum oxide finish, Islander engineered strand bamboo flooring is rated for commercial and residential use. Maintenance is a snap using off-the-shelf cleaning products recommended for use with prefinished floors. Islander engineered strand flooring is also among today’s most eco-conscience building products. Harvested every 5-7 years, Islander bamboo is recognized as a rapidly renewable resource by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). The product also exceeds the European E1 Standard for formaldehyde emissions and carries the coveted FloorScore Indoor Air Quality Certification. Engineered, Hand-scraped, Carbonized, Strand, Bamboo Flooring
I think the "hickory" is a finishing process they do on the bamboo substrate, not real hickory, veneer or otherwise.

John
Well, this statement off of their site makes me think it might be more of a Pergo type product without real wood on the face.

"Islander's Reclaimed Wood High Definition Imaging Bamboo Flooring transcends time. Inspired from centuries-old, reclaimed hardwoods, dramatic visuals are brought to life through Islander's innovative Clear-Tec ™ bamboo imaging process."

High definition imaging and bamboo imaging process?????? Doesn't sound like a real wood face to me. Of course bamboo isn't real wood anyway, it is a grass.
Remember, there has been a lot of talk about the off-gasing danger of veneered flooring. Best to check whether this stuff is on of those with concerns.
Howie.........
iublue said:

Well, this statement off of their site makes me think it might be more of a Pergo type product without real wood on the face.

"Islander's Reclaimed Wood High Definition Imaging Bamboo Flooring transcends time. Inspired from centuries-old, reclaimed hardwoods, dramatic visuals are brought to life through Islander's innovative Clear-Tec ™ bamboo imaging process."

High definition imaging and bamboo imaging process?????? Doesn't sound like a real wood face to me. Of course bamboo isn't real wood anyway, it is a grass.

Bamboo can be a pretty decent product and I think it is way better than MDF as a substrate. But this is a very deceiving product description.

It should be "photo imaged on a solid bamboo substrate". But then where does the "4 mm thick" veneer come in?
Where did you read "4 mm thick" veneer?

John
jteneyck said:

Where did you read "4 mm thick" veneer?

John

From the BJ's Warehouse online description which I quoted above and excerpt here:

Islander engineered strand bamboo flooring features a thick-sawn (4mm) wear layer and 7-ply cross grain base that may be floated, [...]