Sharpening Carbide
Does anyone use fhe flat plate diamond sharpening systems for sharpening there carbide cutters. If so how do they work and what brand do you use? I am looking at sets that cost around $80. This would be better than buying new inserts all of the time. I turn a lot of corian bowls and vases, which are fairly hard on them.
Do it all the time. Use the trend diamond hones. Not all diamond hones are the same so beware. here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyfIsjQnbw
John T.
Great video, thanks
Thanks for the video and recommendation on brand.
I have no idea where I saw it, but there is another one where the bit is mounded on an end grain dowel, chucked up in the lathe, set screw must be in a recess, and turn the lathe on. I would think this would work best with the cupped circular bits.

I am wondering what the fluid is that this guy is using. Any one know? I have heard of a bunch of different lubricating fluids from 3 in 1, to kerosene.

robo hippy
I am betting it is:

Trend DWS/LF/100 3.4 Fluid-Ounce Diamond Abrasive Lapping Fluid $15.02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FMOc56880
He said something in the video I don't understand. He said, "Use a 600 grit diamond. If you use a 1000 grit you will get such a fine edge it will snap off."

I don't get it. You are only lapping the flat side. Using a 1000 grit will give you a finer scratch pattern on the flat side than the 600 grit. How does this make the edge more susceptible to breaking off?

Twinn
Will post for food.
Twin

It is only the top of the cutter that is done not the sides.

I tried it but can not keep my hands still enough or there are chips out of the carbide.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hmm, 'petrolium based product'.... What ever that one is.

As far as the 'edge breaking off' I would think that would pertain to the burr, which in this case would be tiny. Kind of like when you sharpen the bevel, you always get a small burr. Bigger burr with 80 grit, smaller with 180. Like with my 600 grit CBN wheel, great burr for shear scraping, lousy burr for heavy roughing. Perhaps with the micro grained carbide, 600 just leaves the better edge.

robo hippy