disposing of used mineral spirits
How does one dispose of mineral spirits that have been used to clean brushes? Our local landfill won't take it. I've tried letting it evaporate and then disposing of the sludge but that is a slow process.
I reuse mine as much as possible. You can decant the MS off the sludge after it settles, clean the sludge out (let it dry and off to the landfill) then put the MS back in the container and keep using it. If you put the sludge on some papers, it should dry in a few days...or burn it on the backyard campfire.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks.
Here is some info that may be helpful. The process leaves very little mineral spirits to need disposal. You can add "kitty litter" to the remain gunk, spred it out on cardboard boxes and let it dry. Once dry it is considered and non-hazard waste and can be disposed of in most municipal waste.

First, the best way to make a brush easier to clean is to dip the bristles into mineral spirits before you start to use the finish. This will prevent finish from getting up into the ferrule.

For cleaning, use a big 3# coffee can. I pour in some mineral spirits and work the brush in it until is is as clean as you can get it. Then twirl the brush handle between your hands to remove the cleaner. Then pour the cleaner into a smaller 1# coffee can. Now pour some more mineral spirits into the large can, work the brush, twirl it and pour the cleaner into a second small 1# coffee can. Cover both coffee cans. The solids will settle out and the next time just pour off the liquid from the first can you used into the large can for the first rinse, then pour off the liquid from the second can for the second rinse and so on. When the first rinse can gets too full of solids, pour off the remaining liquid into can #2 and add some kitty litter and discard the coffee can with the solids. Can #2 now becomes can #1 and you start a new can #2 with fresh mineral spirits. This way you never have to discard mineral spirits.

I final clean my brushes with water rinsable brush cleaner--which I save also--followed by liquid dishwashing detergent. Use warm water, not hot. Shake them as dry as possible and brush them back and forth on paper towels, then wrap in brown paper, fold it over t0 shape the chisel end of the bristles and hold with a rubber band.

You should never have to throw out mineral spirits and your brushes will be soft as new when you go to use them again.

If the bristles are stiff when you go to use the brush later, just put the brush into the brush cleaner for a few minutes and it will be soft as new. Shake out the brush cleaner and work the brush in a little mineral spirits to remove the brush cleaner before using the brush.
Howie.........
Take it with you when you go camping and use it for starting the camp fire. Charcoal lighter fluid is just mineral spirits these days.
If you decide to look to get rid of it instead of reusing, try a search for "household hazardous waste" with either your county or a close big city. Where I am, the county will take hazardous waste, free of charge, for non-business residents of the county.
I use it to light my burning barrel.

If I did not have that option I'd simply take it to the counties free hazardous waste drop off site. One of the few government operations I whole heartily agree with as it keeps people from dumping poisons and chemicals.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I use mine to start fires to burn garbage.