opinions on a Delta 40-560 2 Speed 16" Scroll Saw
opinions on a Delta 40-560 2 Speed 16" Scroll Saw
There's one for sale on CL for $50 with the stand. Is it worth it?

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/tls/5484159053.html
No. I only do that when I'm drunk. : )
I had one for several years before finding one with a deeper throat. It works OK, and $50 might be the right price. I have mine to the Habitat Restore. Make sure they have the wrench that tightens the blade clamps, it's a 2 part affair that has a pin you slip into a hole, and then tighten a allen screw for the clamp. It would be a little bit of pain without that wrench.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The stand is probably worth $10 or so alone. As for the saw, depends on what you want to use it for. As a beginner saw, it's probably OK. Table looked pretty rusty. Not pitted, but still indicates a level of neglect. I'd offer him $40 for it and see if he'll take it. If you are interested in serious fretwork, I'd probably pass, even though that saw is likely much better than most of the new, entry level saws on the market these days.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

If you do fretwork, you really want one with the tool less blade change. Other than that, my first one was a middle 50's sears, single speed.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I think its a very good scroll saw. The top post is quick release for fret work. Looking at the last photo, the tool to release the bottom post appears to be there, its stored on a bracket on the rear of the saw.

Without the tool I would pass, with the tool I think that is a decent deal on a decent tool.

Do fire it up and test it. The table can easily be cleaned of rust.

I started off with that model and kept it even when I got a Dewalt DW788. The only reason I felt the need to get a DW788 was that a good deal on a used one fell in my lap.