Filter for well
We live on a lake with a drilled well eighty feet deep. The water is very tasty and requires no filtration for taste purposes. However our well pumps some sand/sediment which has to be cleaned from faucet screens periodically. I most recently replaced the water inlet valve on the dishwasher as the dishes were not getting cleaned due to inadequate water in the dishwasher.

Can some recommend a filter system that can minimize this problem? Any suggestions for this problem would be appreciated.

Bill
The best for home for a big filter and decent price is the big blue filters. They are 20"x 4.5" filters. $40 for the filter canister and filters vary. Sediment filters are pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentek-150467-20...T-/321875712439
I have been using a clear version of the big blue with a 1 micron filter: very effective. However, the housing when full of water is heavy.
Yeah there is a couple gallons of water in there so mounting on something flimsy is not a good idea.
I have a place with a 600' deep well that has a good bit of sediment. I purchased the home 10 years ago and I have tried several different filter systems that for one reason or another weren't effective or cost effective. I am using the Culligan HD-950A with 5 micron filters and it's been great. The filters last a long time and I can get them locally at several hardware stores. I haven't had to clean or replace any faucet screens or inlets since I started using it about 2 years ago.
Better run it through a UV light too. I have a well and use two filters plus the UV light.
VH07V  
EightFingers said:

Better run it through a UV light too. I have a well and use two filters plus the UV light.

Why a UV light? Are you just worried or are there problems with the water?
UV light kills bacteria.

Not all wells need a UV light, but having one shouldn't hurt anything.

My well I have something that looks a lot like Culligan Paul linked to. I get the filters at Lowes. Change them once or twice a year...proly should be sooner but I forget.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I know what a UV light does. My dad has one in his barn. It's required by the county because he is a working farm that does farm tours, etc. I was just curious if you had a problem or were just being preventative.

To answer the OP's question at our old house I had a GE sediment filter that I got at HD. It worked well.
We use a 20 inch 5 micron filter to keep sediment out of the water lines and it works great. I change it once a year. Never had a water pressure issue due to a clogged filter.
Joe