unvented attic in 1970's home
I don't know much about Texas, but in NJ, PA and NC, I made it a point to put in electric roof fans controlled by a thermostat into my attic (all had soffit vents already) and it really helps with keeping the AC costs lower, as someone already mentioned, the attic heat gets transferred down. Only issue is whether you have a power line in or near the attic that you can tap into, they don't take much juice and are a pretty easy install.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

I don't know much about Texas, but in NJ, PA and NC, I made it a point to put in electric roof fans controlled by a thermostat into my attic (all had soffit vents already) and it really helps with keeping the AC costs lower, as someone already mentioned, the attic heat gets transferred down. Only issue is whether you have a power line in or near the attic that you can tap into, they don't take much juice and are a pretty easy install.

I had one, but then I put in a whole house attic fan and disconnected the venting fan. I turn on the whole house fan for a few minutes before running the AC. It is not as effective as the venting fan during the day but fine for the evening.

For most days I can get by with just the fan. There are only about 15 days a summer when the AC becomes essential.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler said:

[blockquote]Admiral said:

I had one, but then I put in a whole house attic fan and disconnected the venting fan. I turn on the whole house fan for a few minutes before running the AC. It is not as effective as the venting fan during the day but fine for the evening.

For most days I can get by with just the fan. There are only about 15 days a summer when the AC becomes essential.

[/blockquote]

15 days... Must be nice. 100*+ misery is months long here. Moved here in 89 and until the mid 90s the summers weren't really bad and 100* wasn't common but it's gotten much hotter every year.

The electric and solar fans on the roof are ok as long as you have enough soffit vents so you don't pull air out of the house. The whirlybirds don't use electricity and just work though not pretty. The other passive vents just don't move much air in comparison.
With an invented or under vented attic the hot air will push down into the house through any leak it can find. Very common effect here.

Also make sure to put the soffit baffles in as well before you insulate. They are expensive here cause we don't have menards... (Twice the price here vs menards)
Robert Adams said:

Doesn't get cold enough for long enough here to get enough moisture to condensate up there. We didn't even have winter this year. Coldest temp was 24 and the next coldest was 25 and they were the only days in the 20s this "winter". The bugs are already bad...

Ventilation here is for heat only moisture isn't a problem as the humidity is generally high most of the year but not cold in the winter to condensate and the attic temps will be upwards of 140* in the summer so the relative humidity goes down anyway.

Lots of soffit vents cut in around the house and some sort of venting on the roof. Ridge vent doesn't flow enough cfm for roofs here by itself. The old whirlybirds are still the most effective here.

The best solution is to have spray foam applied to the roof deck. It is the recommended way to insulate a house here though it's pricey. The easier and cheaper way is to put a layer of 4" foam down before the roof decking.

So basically you insulate the roof instead of the ceiling and the attic is now a tempered area that also keeps heat out of your ac ducts.

Take a look at the building science web site as they have good pics and descriptions of how it should be done.

If the humidity is not too high up to about 80 to 82 degrees is OK with the attic fan. But if the humidity is high or it gets above 82 degrees then I need the AC.

I have the attic fan on a thermostat so the decision to use the AC is made when I get home from work.

I like the attic fan but it is NOT a substitute for air conditioning.
Yeah rub it In. 82*..... We don't usually start cooling till it hits 90* but more depends on the temp at night as I can't sleep if it's warm. Never lived anywhere with ac till moving here. The only ac in hawaii I knew of was our neighbors enclosed lanai.
Sounds like throwing in some baffles and planning to vent is worth the investment. Hopefully it's not already unbearably hot by mid April given how mild our winter was this year.
Destinmatt said:

Sounds like throwing in some baffles and planning to vent is worth the investment. Hopefully it's not already unbearably hot by mid April given how mild our winter was this year.

I have a pile of about 75 left of them up in our attic. Bought a whole bunch for $20 on craigslist. I also have a new ac system coming and when I install it I'll put the baffles in place. If I have any left they are yours.

I'm going to do all that attic stuff at the same time while I'm up there. Also need to run network cable etc and the ac system is in a different place than the existing so all new duct work as well.
Will never buy another house without a 12 12 roof. There older low pitch roofs are awful. No room to work can't get to the top of outside walls and puts the heat of the roof much closer to the ceiling.

If you end up blowing insulation up there let me know and I'll see if I can give you a hand. Hard to find a helper to feed the hopper.
Robert Adams said:

Will never buy another house without a 12 12 roof.

On the other hand, shingling a 12/12 roof is no fun. I helped my Dad do his, twice, with cedar shingles.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]Destinmatt said:

I have a pile of about 75 left of them up in our attic. Bought a whole bunch for $20 on craigslist. I also have a new ac system coming and when I install it I'll put the baffles in place. If I have any left they are yours.

I'm going to do all that attic stuff at the same time while I'm up there. Also need to run network cable etc and the ac system is in a different place than the existing so all new duct work as well.
Will never buy another house without a 12 12 roof. There older low pitch roofs are awful. No room to work can't get to the top of outside walls and puts the heat of the roof much closer to the ceiling.

If you end up blowing insulation up there let me know and I'll see if I can give you a hand. Hard to find a helper to feed the hopper.

[/blockquote]

I would say that my roof is probably a 6/12 roof. Very easy to walk on but I have significant ice dams every few years.

My neighbor's house is probably a 10/12 (or maybe a 12/12) and he does not have ice dams. It might not be the pitch of the roof that is causing this, but I suspect it is.

Also the 12/12 roof will carry a heavier snow load, and provide more headroom in the attic.
"North Texas" covers a lot of ground (and climate)

What city is the house in/near? Dallas/Ft. Worth and Amarillo have very different cooling/heating needs but both can be considered "North Texas".

(I grew up near Amarillo -- didn't need A/C until I moved to Lubbock)
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)