Win 10 - Need a little help please
OK, I finally gave in to the incessant notifications by Microsoft to upgrade to Win 10. It went smoothly, but of course lots of my old settings were lost or they are hiding somewhere and not automatically loaded into the new applications. One of them was my Bookmarks for Firefox. I had dozens of Bookmarks that I'll be hard pressed to remember. I'm wondering if they are hiding somewhere in a file that I can import into Firefox to restore them. If anyone has any insight/knowledge if that's possible, I would very much appreciate your help. Thanks.

John
I had FF/IE/Chrome icons on the lower tool bar in Win7 and they showed up(less IE) after the switch.

Ask Cortana. Seriously.
Is it the bookmarks in the program that are missing? Or is it the desktop short cuts? If it's the ones in Firefox there will be a file somewhere with them. I quit using Firefox a long time ago and went back to opera so I don't remember where the file is located at anymore. Also quit using Chrome as its a memory hog.
The previous Windows installation should be backed up automatically and stored somewhere on your HD. From there you should be able to access your old FF profile. I have had to do this several times over the past few years (FF gets corrupted fairly easily, I have found out) and while I don't remember the specifics, FF has a great "how-to" on doing this if you go to their site and do a search for "Restoring Profile".

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Yep, it was stored somewhere; finding it wasn't so easy. An inquiry of Mozilla showed me where the file should have been stored and how to import it into Firefox, but I couldn't find it. File Explorer said it was there but I couldn't see it. After doing something else for a couple of hours it finally dawned on me that it must be in a hidden file folder. Sure enough, it was, and there it was. Even there it is buried about 8 folders deep. But I finally clicked enough right buttons to bring it into Firefox and all is well. I might even remember how to do it the next time I need to - but probably not.

Thanks for your help, all.

Windows 10? Mehh so far. My e-mail keeps crashing which is a pain. Many of the defaults for other programs are lost or similarly hiding - like my template for SketchUp. The cutesy interface doesn't impress me. Overall, I don't see much improvement so far over Win 7.

John
I have all my computers running win 10. It's quite a bit more stable than win 7. Allot of things are easier to find. Dunnow about the email as I only use web based now. I used to use Eudora when I had pop3 server mail.

There is a little bit of work to go through to disable many of the annoying features but once don't it's rock solid. Haven't had a program or machine crash since the early 10 release before updates. It also runs faster than 7 on my old computers.

The one big annoyance is that the search feature is gone. There is no native way to search files in win 10. That Cortana search searches everywhere but your computer. It's cool they used the name from the AI in halo but it's really a disrespect to the character in the game.

Course I still have a machine in he shop running windows me(cnc machine) and another running 95. I still have floppy disks of do 5 and 6 and win 3.1 somewhere... Even Tandy os somewhere. .
Maybe I'm missing something. I can search files with file explorer.
BillN said:

Maybe I'm missing something. I can search files with file explorer.

It sort of works. It doesn't find everything. It's a very common complaint. I can search for some files and it won't find it. I'll have to go I and manually go through the folder tree to get to files to edit them for programs.
File Explorer is how I found my bookmarks file. Couldn't find it for awhile though, until I realized it might be a hidden file. Once I told it to also look for hidden files, there it was.

So then I shut down my computer, and when I did so it started doing another download/install. After 10 minutes plus it finally shut down. Started it back up and it must have taken 45 minutes to reinstall whatever it was related to Win10. When it finally finished, everything setting I used to have, as well as my complete desktop, was back just as it was in Win7. If only it had told me to shut down/restart one more time I would have avoided a lot of aggravation.

John