Delta 22-560 Planer
Hello;

I've a Delta 22-560 12.5" Lunchbox Planer. Has been a work horse in my shop. Purchased 'used' a couple years ago and have run hundreds (or thousands) of feet through it. Had original knives, rotated a few months back to use side #2.

Have started to notice that I have a very bad taper across the width of the boards - even with blades on side #1 before reversing. Ran 2" wide to 9.5" wide material through the last couple days and the all have a wedge shape.

The knifes are automatically aligned for depth with set pins. When I flip the board 180 degrees and run through the middle of the planer, it takes a significant amount of one side off. So clearly the head is angled. Is this something that's able to be adjusted, did not think so with these planers.

I've a Hitachi P12RA I could use for final passes (i.e. use the Delta for dirty roughing) but at $100 for blades, no DC hookup, etc. I prefer to use the Delta 22-560 on the regular. Let me know your thoughts.

Jake
"Above all else, he's a happy woodworker, and he'll be laid in his coffin with the most unexplainable grin on his face for he has known he has lived." -Cian
It sounds to me like the elevation ( chain or gear not sure which kind delta used on that planer) jumped a tooth or two

you need to remove the drive then manually reset the head by turning the elevation screws until back to parallel.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Grout;

That makes sense, I've not messed with the guts before -- plug and play. Will take a look tonight. Thanks!

Manual, page 15: https://wiki.hive13.org/images/c/c6/22-560_manual.pdf

Jake
"Above all else, he's a happy woodworker, and he'll be laid in his coffin with the most unexplainable grin on his face for he has known he has lived." -Cian
Are you sure the table itself is level, or your infeed or outfeed table is level? If you can raise or lower the cutterhead and there's no resistance, then the problem just might be your table.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Hill;

There has been an increase in resistance when a raise and lower the cutter head. Figured it just needs to be lubricated. But I'll check to see if the bed (table) is level.

Jake
Well, I took the covers off to take a look, nothing looked out of alignment -- threaded screw adjusts height, but no clear way how to 'screw' in slightly to independently raise/lower a side.

Looked inside at the cutter head, sure enough the center of the blade was pushed down! At the center material had wedged itself between the blade and cutter head. Causing a scallop right in the center. Took the blade off and cleaned it out.

I'll see if this fixed it -- went back to my project being finished up so had not tested. If it happens again new blades go in. Original ones, so they sat in a garage for most of it's life I'm sure. Thanks for the troubleshooting.

Jake
woodsman83192 said:

Grout;

That makes sense, I've not messed with the guts before -- plug and play. Will take a look tonight. Thanks!

Manual, page 15: https://wiki.hive13.org/images/c/c6/22-560_manual.pdf

Jake

On page 13 of the manual it shows how to make a simple gauge to adjust the outfeed roller. You can also use this gauge to observe the height of the cutter. Place the gauge under one end of the cutter and adjust the head so that it's just touching the gauge. Then slide the gauge to the other end and observe any difference. If there is a difference, then you'll need to re-calibrate the head as someone else has suggested. I never had to do that with my 22-580 but if you're mechanically inclined, you should be able to do it. Otherwise, a trip to the Delta service center might be in order. (I assume they still work on them.)

Good luck!
That's a good point, should work out the same way. Thanks.

Jake