Delta Shaper 43-375, elevation nut frozen. Need advise
I have a 80s model Delta shaper 43-375. The elevation bronze nut is frozen on the elevation threaded rod. Saw dust and rust is what caused the problem. I need to get the bronze nut and elevation rod off the shaper. I can use heat once I get those off the machine. Short of taking the whole machine apart is there an easier way. Thanks Brad.
BC Woodworks
It may take a day or three but I think I would blow as much sawdust and debris from the area as you can then liberally spray the screw and nut with a penetrating lube like kroil oil then start working the elevation wheel back and forth without overdoing it. you may only get a partial turn or two at first but eventually it should work itself free.

The way the screw and the nut are set in the elevation makes this a vulnerable spot for sawdust ( especially if you lower the screw enough to expose the threads in the nut)

If after several days ( yes days) of applying the oil and attempting to turn the elevating screw fails and I had to take it apart the first thing I would do is flip it over on the top on cribbing or a short table (remove the spindle first) and take the base off the top. then I would proceed to take it apart. IME this is far easier than the alternative.

HTH

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

In addition to Joe's post I would try to heat the bronze nut with a heat gun.You may be able to get the nut to expand some without a torch.
Because bronze is self lubricating metal ,the spray ,tapping on the nut gently to aid in the solvent getting on the threads and heat should free it up.I generally use PB Blaster,try a search for best solvent to use.
I use PB Blaster because a, case was thrown in with some machine tools I bought at an estate sale.I found it more effective than WD-40.

mike
Folow instructions from Joe and others on this forum-shaper is easybto work on, if you follow their logical instructions!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com