Which used jointer? Delta 8" or griz 12"?
12" trumps 8" every day. I had a 10" and now have a 14". My friend's 8" looks down right puny now.

Go big or stay home.

John
jteneyck said:

12" trumps 8" every day. I had a 10" and now have a 14". My friend's 8" looks down right puny now.

Go big or stay home.

John

Ditto! Jointers are pretty simple machines. If the tables or the fence is not warped you should be good to go. I have a ShopFox 8" jointer and it has served me well - would easily buy it again unless a 12 incher came along and fell into my lap!

Doug
Usual going rate for a DJ-20 is $800-$1,000.
Even though I'm a Rockwell/Delta man, go for the Grizzly.
I would touch it with a 5 foot pole.
Assuming both run its a no brainer to me. Grizzly no contest.
-Marc

Steve N said:

If operable the 12" Griz at 750 bux is what I would go for. Is it 3 phase electric, and if yes does that pose a problem for you is all I would ask.

The dj20 at 500 bux is also a very nice deal, again if operable, and powered by electric you have without having to source a VFD/RFD or the like to convert power from 3 phase to single phase.

I would think there is also going to be a space consideration with the 12" Griz being some bigger than the 8" DJ, which are quite compact for the usable top surface.

If it was me, I'd have bought both of them already before taking time to ask, and sold off the one I didn't want, because they are both great deals, again if they operate as they are supposed to. I can about assure you, if you wait to long, neither will still be there.

Motor swap on a jointer is no biggie either. I did on my dj20 and ended up money ahead.
My Day Job
well, bye.
Do you need a Cadillac or a van? If you're a hobbyist, the Grizzly should more than suffice if it's setup well, flat, co-planer, etc. Capacity is rarely a bad thing.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

closed for business said:

[blockquote]Steve N said:

If operable the 12" Griz at 750 bux is what I would go for. Is it 3 phase electric, and if yes does that pose a problem for you is all I would ask.

The dj20 at 500 bux is also a very nice deal, again if operable, and powered by electric you have without having to source a VFD/RFD or the like to convert power from 3 phase to single phase.

I would think there is also going to be a space consideration with the 12" Griz being some bigger than the 8" DJ, which are quite compact for the usable top surface.

If it was me, I'd have bought both of them already before taking time to ask, and sold off the one I didn't want, because they are both great deals, again if they operate as they are supposed to. I can about assure you, if you wait to long, neither will still be there.

Motor swap on a jointer is no biggie either. I did on my dj20 and ended up money ahead.

[/blockquote]

True this. I was just pointing out if they both ran as the should both were screaming deals, you could hardly get hurt on a flip. I'd have to go lower to make it a clean sweep if either or both needed work. Wait a minute who am I talking to here. You know the rules, buy low. sell moderately high
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Buy them both and sell the one you like least for $1000.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.