Amazing Old Paint
Needed to paint the eyes on a doll, looked in the paint cabinet and pulled out those tiny jars of Testors modeling paint. I last opened them 60 years ago. The caps screw right off and the paint just needs a little stir. Good as new!!
Man does that bring back memories! That model paint was good, and I had a lot of it...also about 60 years ago. Interesting it kept all the time, guess I should have saved mine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I swear the smell of that stuff came back to me while reading your post! They say smell is your strongest sense.
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

I swear the smell of that stuff came back to me while reading your post! They say smell is your strongest sense.

Yup it has a distinctive smell to it. It does seem to last forever as long as the lid doesn't leak and dry it out.
Shovel Man said:

Needed to paint the eyes on a doll, looked in the paint cabinet and pulled out those tiny jars of Testors modeling paint. I last opened them 60 years ago. The caps screw right off and the paint just needs a little stir. Good as new!!

IIRC, You could get a pack of 10 for $.99 . That included a bottle of thinner.
If that stuff causes cancer I'm doomed. I used to build model planes in my basement and paint with that stuff for hours. I must have gotten high on it, or at least punchy. After all, they did call it dope. Probably lucky the house didn't blow up, too.

That smell will be burned into my memory forever.

John
jteneyck said:

If that stuff causes cancer I'm doomed. I used to build model planes in my basement and paint with that stuff for hours. I must have gotten high on it, or at least punchy. After all, they did call it dope. Probably lucky the house didn't blow up, too.

That smell will be burned into my memory forever.

John

That was butyrate dope and it would get you high. I think they only used that on tissue covered balsa planes.

Testors was just an enamel. By the way I've used nail polish (red) to mark the right side of head phones (the little "L" is hard to read). Modern nail polish is rather an amazing paint. Hard and self-leveling to the degree that we never see in other paints.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.