Looking at a higher flow DC.. Griz 0562
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7314646
(05-08-2017, 10:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I tore apart my 2 HP Grizzly and mounted the fan directly on top of a cyclone.  That minimized the pressure drop between the two.  I threw away the bags, upsized the exhaust from 5" to 6", and hosed (ducting would be better) the exhaust out a nearby window.

Those changes took my static pressure near the cyclone from about 4" (for a unit that was rated at 11", and was with nothing hooked to it)  to over 8", and the SP at my large BS from about 1.5" to about 3.5".  Prior to this change sawdust would build up in the BS; now it stays clean no matter how long I run stock through it.  An added bonus is the smaller footprint of the DC system and never having to clean bags or filters.  And, best of all, I have the cleanest air possible in my shop.  Even the best filters don't capture everything.  I did have to install a make up air system but that wasn't difficult, and I have not found it to significantly effect the temp. in my shop even in Winter.  

John

I have to say I'm intrigued by the efficiency gained that removing the filter and bag gives you, but I have to wonder what my neighbors would say/do if they saw a cloud of fine dust billowing out of my shop on the weekends, not to mention what action the county health officials would take if someone reported it. There has to be a better compromise but I'm drawing a blank on what. A deep hole in the ground to catch the fine sawdust?

Tom
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
(05-08-2017, 12:46 PM)teetomterrific Wrote: I have to say I'm intrigued by the efficiency gained that removing the filter and bag gives you, but I have to wonder what my neighbors would say/do if they saw a cloud of fine dust billowing out of my shop on the weekends, not to mention what action the county health officials would take if someone reported it. There has to be a better compromise but I'm drawing a blank on what. A deep hole in the ground to catch the fine sawdust?

My Pentz cyclone separates out most of the fines.  I get very little fine dust in the snow in the window well in the winter, and there's very fine wood flour in the bin after a bunch of sanding.  So I don't worry about it.  But that's me.  
Winkgrin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(05-08-2017, 12:46 PM)teetomterrific Wrote: I have to say I'm intrigued by the efficiency gained that removing the filter and bag gives you, but I have to wonder what my neighbors would say/do if they saw a cloud of fine dust billowing out of my shop on the weekends, not to mention what action the county health officials would take if someone reported it. There has to be a better compromise but I'm drawing a blank on what. A deep hole in the ground to catch the fine sawdust?

Tom

Like TDKPE, very little sawdust gets through my cyclone.   You can see how even really fine stuff gets captured:

[Image: CTJ2sbsKGANFuqtSDv8ZTBIXfLY0jRtZN8jwg8p3...38-h628-no]

This is what it looks like outside after a couple of hours of using the drum sander:

[Image: WuzEYgJtvPQCpyWNrai3ChbEWXnUEqFK4CWjueEm...38-h628-no]

For me, it's a non issue.  Same thing for the noise.  I haven't measured the noise level, but it's less than my AC unit or stationary generator produces. I don't see an issue.  Honestly, my neighbors are more likely to hear my stationary generator or AC compressor than the DC exhaust.

John
John, excuse me if I missed it but what kind of cyclone is that?
-Marc

Marc, it's from an old DustCop industrial vacuum cleaner.  It had this cyclone and some sort of filter system downstream.  When we trashed it at work, I cut the cyclone out of it and adapted it to my DC system, originally with a hose from the top of the cyclone to the fan inlet of the DC.  I lost flow but still had enough until I bought the new bandsaw.  The cyclone is likely not optimum for what I'm using it for, but it seems to work well enough so I'm not motivated to look further.  

I'd like to point out one more time that flow is key to moving dust and chips.  My DC was rated at nearly 1500 CFM.  You only need 800 cfm for a 6" duct, yet I didn't have nearly that much in reality.  Between the losses from adding the cyclone (which is pretty substantial, around 4" SP loss), the ducting, and "upgrading" to 2 micron bags it was less than 800 cfm.  The changes I've made have clearly gotten me back over that threshold because no dust collects inside the BS now.  Key among those changes were the direct coupling of the fan to the cyclone and eliminating the bags.  

John