Stabbed In The Back
receptacles that is. No judgement here, just curious if anyone here uses them. I put in all the receptacles and switches upstairs today. I still wrap the wire around the terminal screw. It's slower but when I learned as a young teenager it was from an electrician who was old even then. I don't know if they were as prevalent, but his opinion was backstabbed receptacles weren't nearly as reliable. Has that changed?
I like to get the ones that can't be stabbed in the back. And I don't like working on them. The failed handyman we bought this house from used them a lot. I have seen some he installed that seemed really questionable and I had to replace one or two.
Ok for quick work that will never see much of a load. I've had to redo a couple and didn't like the way they looked so I always wrap it.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I never stab. I also always buy the largest box I can stuff in the wall. I really hate trying to cram everything back into a really small box.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I don't either, I also buy the higher priced ones, Hubbell if I can get 'em.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What I'd like is for somebody to sell some that have the terminals that the GFI ones do. A sort of clamp that is held down by a screw so you don't need to wrap the wire, but it's better than just stabbing them.
crokett™ said:

What I'd like is for somebody to sell some that have the terminals that the GFI ones do. A sort of clamp that is held down by a screw so you don't need to wrap the wire, but it's better than just stabbing them.

Spec grade. Backwired (not to be confused with back stabs, which are just spring loaded and not durable), with clamps, but you can use the screws instead if you prefer.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
crokett™ said:

They are made by a few different manufacturers. Here is one

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591442-427-BR15G...plex+outlet#img

Generally they cost about $3 each at the BORG, as opposed to the standard ones for around a buck.
crokett™ said:

They sell those. Take a closer look at the selection of receptacles next time you're in Home Depot. Last time I looked, there were I think two grades above the standard contractor grade which had the clamp style terminals.
TDKPE said:

[blockquote]crokett™ said:

Spec grade. Backwired (not to be confused with back stabs, which are just spring loaded and not durable), with clamps, but you can use the screws instead if you prefer.

[/blockquote]

+1. I always use backwired components when I can get them. Everytime I touch a box with backstabed components, I either use the screws or replace them with backwired.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry