Rust stains on painted surface.
Title says it all, almost. It's my garage. It's all metal and has some rust stains from some rusty trim I replaced. Doesn't look like the rust is etched into the paint, more of a surface problem. Most rust removal products say not to use on a painted surface. Anyone have any experience?
The older I get the faster I was.
Is repainting an option?

Twinn
Will post for food.
Well the only idea would be to try CLR. The other option would be oxalic acid. It removes rust and is what is used to get the rust off of quartz crystals.
I would try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'm always amazed at what those things can clean.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Woodenfish said:

I would try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'm always amazed at what those things can clean.

Just don't use them on a glossy surface, they are an abrasive.
Snipe Hunter said:

[blockquote]Woodenfish said:

Just don't use them on a glossy surface, they are an abrasive.

[/blockquote] I'm surprised that Snipe didn't recommend a detailing Clay bar. It is usually used to remove contaminants from automotive surfaces. You should be able to get a claybar kit at Autozone or O'Reilly's. http://www.walmart.com/ip/16386193?wmlsp...872&veh=sem
Good suggestions guys/gals. Spotted a couple I'm going to give a try in the morning. Thanks.
The older I get the faster I was.