Mounting a Shelf Using Only Drywall Anchors
LOML has an idea stuck in her brain. She wants a single board supported by two shelf brackets. So far, so good. The problem is she wants the shelf in a certain spot, and if I put the brackets on the studs below, they won't be centered with the shelf.

So let's talk specs on shelf. 36" wide x 8" deep x 3/4" thick. The shelf will support at least 15 lbs and then go up to who knows where.

I've tried to talk to her about what drywall anchors aren't meant for. Shear force, pull out force, etc. She's still set, so I thought I'd ask here for a 2nd opinion. I'm thinking at the minimum, I'm going to have to step up the anchors to some kind of toggle anchor.

So what's everybody think? Am I justified in being leery of hanging a (pretty good sized I thought) shelf with nothing buy four drywall anchors?
Not that I would want to do what you have proposed but if I had to I would look for these
http://www.homedepot.com/p/WallClaw-Wall...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'm not fond of dry wall anchors. How 'bout something like this -

http://www.rockler.com/blind-shelf-supports

You could put them on the studs and they wouldn't be visible after they're installed.

Or you could put more blocking in the wall. Sounding like a 15 minute job that will take two days spread out over a week.
Phil S. said:

You could put them on the studs and they wouldn't be visible after they're installed.

Or you could put more blocking in the wall. Sounding like a 15 minute job that will take two days spread out over a week.

I proposed a blind shelf. She said she didn't want me to go through all the trouble.

She wants two shelves. So I proposed a "box" so I could put a board across the underside of the top shelf and have something to screw into. Nope, not what she's looking for.

She thought this was a simple request, and is having trouble comprehending why I'm cross examining her a dozen ways in good faith efforts to make this work. Even after I pointed out that the picture she's dreaming of on Pinterest has air fit on both side of the shelf (her location does not). Or, on the back of the drywall anchor box (which boasts a 50 lb rating) where it says it is for hanging loads and not extended loads like shelves (with shelves underlined).

I'm not sure whether to try the toggle anchors or just wave the white flag and offer to build her a floor to ceiling cabinet.
Use WingIts wall anchors. They're designed to support heavy loads (grab bars, TVs, shelves, etc.) on hollow walls. Here's a link which shows the different anchors made by WingIts. Click on each anchor to see the load rating, installation instructions and a video.

http://www.wingits.com/products.php?id=2
Phil S. said:

Ok, how about this. Use the blind shelf anchors to hold the weight. Put the shelf brackets up using any type of drywall anchor you like, they will be purely decorative, to appease the wife. You both win.

Happy wife, happy life. I've had 2, I know what for I speak of
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/infanchor/infanchor.html
John T.
DieselDennis said:

LOML has an idea stuck in her brain. She wants a single board supported by two shelf brackets. So far, so good. The problem is she wants the shelf in a certain spot, and if I put the brackets on the studs below, they won't be centered with the shelf.

So let's talk specs on shelf. 36" wide x 8" deep x 3/4" thick. The shelf will support at least 15 lbs and then go up to who knows where.

I've tried to talk to her about what drywall anchors aren't meant for. Shear force, pull out force, etc. She's still set, so I thought I'd ask here for a 2nd opinion. I'm thinking at the minimum, I'm going to have to step up the anchors to some kind of toggle anchor.

So what's everybody think? Am I justified in being leery of hanging a (pretty good sized I thought) shelf with nothing buy four drywall anchors?

Only 15 pounds? I would use the threaded kind in a heart beat and not worry at all about it. Only an 8" shelf will not cause much leverage on the anchors especially since nothing is going to sitting 8" away from the wall. I have put up entire wire closet systems using the EZ anchors. They have been up for years with no failures and that is with them being full of clothes hanging 12" out from the wall.
Install the shelf the way she wants it installed.

Have her sign a statement relative to the fact that you are not responsible for the "customer's" required installation procedure.

Have the statement notarized.

Hang the statement beside the shelf.

Make a note of which (the shelf or the statement) falls down first.

Start researching plans for a cabinet.

Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
6270_Productions said:

Install the shelf the way she wants it installed.

Have her sign a statement relative to the fact that you are not responsible for the "customer's" required installation procedure.

Have the statement notarized.

Hang the statement beside the shelf.

Make a note of which (the shelf or the statement) falls down first.

Start researching plans for a doghouse.

FIXT
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.