I have a question for a faceplate
I love faceplates and would like to get a few bigger metal ones from 8" up to 16".

I have been thinking about getting flywheels off of a car or truck and weld a 1 1/4x8 Nuts on them and drill the holes for the screws.

Do you guys think this will work?

Also where would I get the Nuts to buy. Link please

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I had a couple made. Had to get a machinist to make them and cut the threads , couldn't find threads.
The easy part is I bought 1-1/4 x 8 nuts at Fastenal.

[url=https://www.fastenal.com/products?r=~|categoryl1:"600000%20Fasteners"|~%20~|categoryl2:"600072%20Nuts"|~%20~|categoryl3:"604552%20Heavy%20Hex%20Nuts"|~%20~|sattr01:^"Imperial%20(Inch)"$|~%20~|sattr04:^1-1/4"-8$|~]https://www.fastenal.com/products?r=~|ca...04:^1-1/4"-8$|~[/url]

The hard part is going to be welding the nut and having the whole thing balanced. If you are off even a smidge it won't work. You will need some way to true the final assembly.

I would used the largest commercial faceplate and add a piece of plywood if I needed bigger.

Twinn
Why in the world would you need a 16" faceplate? Are you planning on turning 40" bowls? The largest faceplate I've seen for sale is an 8" faceplate. I gotta think anything larger than that is unnecessary for 99% of turners.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
theeviltwinn said:

[url=https://www.fastenal.com/products?r=~|categoryl1:"600000%20Fasteners"|~%20~|categoryl2:"600072%20Nuts"|~%20~|categoryl3:"604552%20Heavy%20Hex%20Nuts"|~%20~|sattr01:^"Imperial%20(Inch)"$|~%20~|sattr04:^1-1/4"-8$|~]https://www.fastenal.com/products?r=~|ca...04:^1-1/4"-8$|~[/url]

The hard part is going to be welding the nut and having the whole thing balanced. If you are off even a smidge it won't work. You will need some way to true the final assembly.

I would used the largest commercial faceplate and add a piece of plywood if I needed bigger.

Twinn

This.
This.
Also it's going to be very difficult to weld the nuts on so the threads are square to the surface of the flywheel. You would pretty much have to weld them on
then true up the whole assembly on a metal lathe.
I think unless you have the tools to do it yourself the costs will quickly outweigh the benefits.
Rodney
A large faceplate is used for some types of off center ornamental turnings - sculptures, wall hangings and such. I think Lyle Jamieson used faceplates for his figure series.

Yes, not necessary 99% of the time. But I can see needing one if that's what you are in to.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Twinn

If you are planning to weld, unplated would be your best option. A couple months ago I ran across these and ordered 20.
[url=https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0155723?r=~|categoryl1:"600000%20Fasteners"|~%20~|categoryl2:"600072%20Nuts"|~%20~|isclearanceitem:Yes|~%20~|categoryl3:"604552%20Heavy%20Hex%20Nuts"|~%20~|sattr04:^1-1/4"-8$|~]1-1/4 x8, unplated, on closeout[/url]

The sku is
Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 0155723 & they are $1.36 each
Arlin, it will likely be easiest to buy a regular 4" plate and have a machine shop weld a larger plate onto it. They can then turn the larger plate true before sending it back to you.

Nova does make a 6" plate.

Alternatively, depending on the chuck you have, you could use the Cole jaw plates and simply screw through them. Nova has a set and there are two different sets for the Easy Chuck.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
handi said:

Arlin, it will likely be easiest to buy a regular 4" plate and have a machine shop weld a larger plate onto it. They can then turn the larger plate true before sending it back to you.

Nova does make a 6" plate.

Alternatively, depending on the chuck you have, you could use the Cole jaw plates and simply screw through them. Nova has a set and there are two different sets for the Easy Chuck.

Ralph

Cole jaws as a faceplate is not something I would recommend
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

theeviltwinn said:

A large faceplate is used for some types of off center ornamental turnings - sculptures, wall hangings and such. I think Lyle Jamieson used faceplates for his figure series.

Yes, not necessary 99% of the time. But I can see needing one if that's what you are in to.

Twinn

The difference in strength and utility between welding a nut on a plate or bolting the plate to a smaller faceplate escapes me. Call a 4" faceplate a large nut and bolt what you like on it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.