zip line
My grandkids want a zip line. I see kits for around $250. anyone ever build one?
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

Target stores sell a nice kit for $150. We bought one on clearance this winter for $80, when the snow melts I will put it up.
By the way we didn't buy it for the kids, it's for my wife.
http://www.target.com/p/brand-44-slacker...mp;term=zipline
Look at the other offerings there, the kit we bought has a seat included.
Our neighbors and friends put one up. About a 60 footer from a tree to another tree close to their house. Not a huge drop in it, probably about 5' from top to bottom. What could go wrong they said? Oldest son go showing off to his friends and he slipped about 3/4 the way down the run. Dropped, rolled and broke his arm. About 5 weeks later one of his sisters went to jump onto the handle at the high end, slipped and fell straight down and broke her ankle. So just to be known, they are not safe. That said, kids need adventure in their lives.
Made one back in the 60's when I was a kid with an old rope and a metal wheel as a pulley.

You sure have to know when to let go before you get to the tree if the rope is too tight.

Don't ask you how you know that, huh?
I fell out of multiple trees when I was a kid. I climb trees professionally with chainsaws now. I am always tied in (twice when working) now. I bought a harness for our oldest son when he turned 6. Mom wasn't too happy with me about that...but I pointed out "they are gonna climb trees - might as well be safe while they are doing it".

Would you take your kids shooting at the range? If you are OK with them taking up shooting sports: why not hand them a gun and tell them to go have fun with no further instruction or expectations?

I see zip-lining in a similar light. Yes, there are inherent dangers...but you can compensate for those with good safety practices.
PS: I'd say those practices probably start above $250... But the company making that $250 (or Target retailing it) is well aware of our litigious society and they aren't going to sell a system prone to failure. that doesn't mean operator error can't result in injury...just that they system is not likely to fail. If I were putting one up, I'd start at Sherrill Tree. Heck...a very basic saddle is $80.