cutting large scroll work
Wood is 2" thick, 14" wide and 6 feet long. Need to cut curves and straight cuts on this board. Very difficult to manage the length on a bandsaw and a jig saw blade will bend when cutting curves creating a conical shape.
So how to cut this board and the 15 others I need to make?
Looking for experience or resources not guesses.
Thank you :-)
opticsguy said:

Wood is 2" thick, 14" wide and 6 feet long. Need to cut curves and straight cuts on this board. Very difficult to manage the length on a bandsaw and a jig saw blade will bend when cutting curves creating a conical shape.
So how to cut this board and the 15 others I need to make?
Looking for experience or resources not guesses.
Thank you :-)

can ya give us a picture of what ya have going on? one of the pieces with the cut lines all laid out. that would probably help us help you.

that size of a piece does sound challenging.
jigsaw... with thinner blades and a lot of patience

unless of course you want to drop a few K into a CNC

even then it would be tough
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Given no further information, I'd probably pattern route everything. This way, I make all my mistakes in the patterns instead of the expensive wood. Assuming the pattern is the same for all boards or at least some kind of repeating pattern, templates rule.

One would build a pattern 14" wide and add legs to capture the workpiece and then clamp it on. It can be slide left/right as needed for repeat cuts.

Of course, its a bit of a guess since we don't know the application.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Yes we need more info as to what you are looking to do. Are you duplicating cuts or are these all one of a kind??? A router with a long bit and a pattern board will work unless that is too much material removed. We have no idea what you are doing. Need to help us help you.
John T.
Mr_Mike said:

Given no further information, I'd probably pattern route everything. This way, I make all my mistakes in the patterns instead of the expensive wood.

Given what was described, that would be my approach as well. You could cut the wood close to the line with a jigsaw, and then clean that up with the router. Still wouldn't be a picnic....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
How tight are the turns?

I've used a serious jig saw with a thick blade with big teeth (low teeth per inch) and take it easy to avoid tapered edges.

Then a pattern-following bit in a router to clean things up and cut to final size.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)