Let's revisit drum sanders
I am looking to purchase a drum sander in the next few weeks and had my eye on the SuperMax 19-38 until I found the General International 24" dual drum sander that is not a cantilever arm type sander. The Super Max is currently on sale for $1400.00 but the General is also on sale but for $1900.00. What are the pro's and con's of each sander and is the general worth the spending the extra $500.00 for? Electrical I know is 110 vs 220 and neither is a problem, space for the General would be tight but if it's a much better sander I can work with the space issue. I want a sander that I wouldn't have to fight with each time I use and one that will last as long as I need it.
Dual drum sander all the way! I had an open sided sander (Delta 16/32) and my friend had a big Performax. Both were no where near as good and solid at the General dual drum is. I bought one when they first came out and even though I have a 16" widebelt sander, I still will not part with my General dual drum. It is rare that I need 24" capacity, so my 16" widebelt is better because of the belt ossicalation, but when I need the 24", the General delivers.
the SuperMax is going to handle wider boards...but do you need that extra width?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I would never go with an open ended sander again. Too much flex in them. I can flex the end with my fingers alone on the delta 18 or the smaller performax.

Like said double drum is the only way to go.
I'll start with this it's a review from an brand new owner.

Ok with that out of the way I took the same journey you are now on a little over a year ago, and I ended up with the SuperMax 19/38. Like you I saw that for not much more I could get "DUAL DRUM" sounded good, sign me up. Went to the local real McCoy woodworking tool dealer down in Cinci. Edward B Mueller They had/have been a General dealer in the past. I went there to see the General "International" It is evidently the International part that has Mueller no longer a dealer. They referred me to these guys I had never heard of them before all my life in SW Ohio. Anyhow, nope they wouldn't sell one of those *(&%&&%&** )(&&*( )()&*^^, but if you would like to look at a SuperMax, or a ....., or a .........

Basically what I ran into locally was since General went "International" all the dealers here lost interest. It was strong enough that I made up my mind I wouldn't buy one until I could see, and hopefully run one. Didn't happen. I could see or run a SuperMax on almost every street corner, and in comparison to Jet I was left thinking I understood some peoples reluctance with the open units. All I can say is I am very satisfied with my SuperMax, and after having looked at them versus Jet, Griz (was lucky and a guy I knew, knew a guy, who's cousin), anyhow I got to play with a G1066R I really looked around, and I think I got a lot of bang for my $$$$

Good Luck on your search
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
While I think the Super Max is a great machine, Both machines have great reviews and have found very little negative as long as the time is spent up front doing the proper set up. I have watched all you tube videos and again all positive. so I'm struggling with this one. I am trying to avoid buyers remorse down the road. I can't think of any time in the last few years where I needed something sanded over 24" but who knows what will happen tomorrow. Normally for tool purchases with enough research, I find one model that has the "something extra" to sway me one way or the other and at this point I'm finding them very similar.
FTR, Supermax is made right here in the Twin Cities and I have been to their "factory." It is a front office with no one at the desk and about 2-4 guys in offices doing sales. Out back is a warehouse stacked full of boxes of parts from all over the world. There is a guy (Jack is his name????) that looks just like Grizzly Adams and he is the sole guy that puts these things together. They have 1-2 of each model assembled or semi assembled (if being shipped) ready to go. One get sold and he ships it out and then he builds another one as backup.

http://www.supermaxtools.com/contact-us/
Supermax has dual drum sanders that look pretty nice...
I have the Supermax 19-38 and it is a nice sander for the price range. Yes the general is worth the $1900 with extra width, supported both ends, dual drums. I hand a similar brand and it was a workhorse. Of course dust colection is a must.
I've used the 16-32 for a very long time (15-20 years?) I love it. I finally replaced it with the 19-38. Wow what a difference! Hard for me to believe any drum sander performing better. No hassles no problems, just flat sanding. Plus I can go up to 38" wide when I need to.